Locating a cell in a row with a specific name

jswillcox

Team,

I am trying to use an excel spread sheet copied into a Sheet in excel to input information.

Example:

Sheet 1 Cell A2(in cell A2 =desired number) I want information to be filled with units sold by Location1.

The location information will be in Sheet 3. The difficult thing is the information I am pulling the content from is not always in the same order or with the same amount of cells.

How can I have it Locate the row with Location1 written in it and then add the number content from later in the row.

Example:
Day 5
Cell A20 = Location1. Cell L20 = desired number.

Day 7
Cell A3 = Location1. Cell L3 = desired number.

What is a formula that I can use to have the numbers from a locaiton to be found and added to a sheet.

P.S. Every location will not always be in the sheet. So if the location is not found can it be written as 0?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I am trying to use an excel spread sheet copied into a Sheet in excel to input information.

Sheet 1 Cell A2(in cell A2 =desired number) I want information to be filled with units sold by Location1.

So, you want a formula in A2 (only) that looks up information for units sold by Location 1 only?

The location information will be in Sheet 3. The difficult thing is the information I am pulling the content from is not always in the same order or with the same amount of cells.

How can I have it Locate the row with Location1 written in it and then add the number content from later in the row.

Vlookup is the simple method. <code>
=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)</code>

Use FALSE for the range range_lookup parameter to get an exact match (i.e. order of locations will not affect the result)
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/VLOOKUP-function-0bbc8083-26fe-4963-8ab8-93a18ad188a1

Example:
Day 5

Day 7

Do you mean if the location is found in a row in Sheet1, the result will be column L and in the same row in Sheet 3?

If so, use the Index function instead
https://support.office.com/en-US/article/INDEX-function-A5DCF0DD-996D-40A4-A822-B56B061328BD

What is a formula that I can use to have the numbers from a locaiton to be found and added to a sheet.

P.S. Every location will not always be in the sheet. So if the location is not found can it be written as 0?[/QUOTE]

If the above is not what you expected, maybe you need to provide some samples of data to illustrate the problem (see the Posting Aids link in my signature)?

Upvote 0

So, you want a formula in A2 (only) that looks up information for units sold by Location 1 only?

Vlookup is the simple method. <code>
=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)</code>

Use FALSE for the range range_lookup parameter to get an exact match (i.e. order of locations will not affect the result)
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/VLOOKUP-function-0bbc8083-26fe-4963-8ab8-93a18ad188a1

Example:
Day 5

Day 7

Do you mean if the location is found in a row in Sheet1, the result will be column L and in the same row in Sheet 3?

If so, use the Index function instead
https://support.office.com/en-US/article/INDEX-function-A5DCF0DD-996D-40A4-A822-B56B061328BD

P.S. Every location will not always be in the sheet. So if the location is not found can it be written as 0?

If the above is not what you expected, maybe you need to provide some samples of data to illustrate the problem (see the Posting Aids link in my signature)?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response. The video links were perfect! It gave me all the information I needed. I appreciate your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back