List Text AND "Today()" date in the same cell

gabribasa

Hi Mr. Excel,

I'm using Excel 2007 and Windows XP.

1. General Question: Formula to list the word "Date:" and the TODAY() function in the same cell. "Date: 9/27/11" for example.

2. Background Info:
a. I am trying to list the date at the top of an important form. This form is often printed to PDF, and the date included in the naming convention. It would be very useful to have the date ON the pdf version of the form for those that simply print it out. That being said, formatting wise I need to have the date in one cell. Is there a way to have "Date: MM/DD/YYYY" appear in one cell? The MM/DD/YYYY would need to be TODAY() so that every time the form was changed and printed to PDF, the date would be recorded.

3. Specific Values:
The cell I want the date to appear in is A2. All the columns right of D are not used for form information, but could be used in making the formula.
I have tried many things, including:

="Date:" & TODAY()

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 224pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=298><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 224pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 9536" width=298><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 224pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl78 height=20 width=298>Returns: Date:40813</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

F5 contains: "Date:"
G5 contains: "=TODAY()"

=F5&G5

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 224pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=298><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 224pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 9536" width=298><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 224pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8" class=xl78 height=20 width=298>Returns: Date:40813

Does anyone know a solution(formula) that could return "Date: MM/DD/YYYY" for Today?

Thanks!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Yeah... I was trying to fix that when I saw both had already been answered! (I was trying to delete the one and post it again with tags... apparently they were not necessary.)

Upvote 0
Do you know how to make the "date" text bold but the date not?

Cannot be done in a formula.
You can only format the ENTIRE result of the formula, not just part of it.

You would have to convert the formula to it's resulting value
(copy, paste special - values)

Then you can format only a specific part of it.

Upvote 0
I merged Aladiin's reply in to this thread, and remove your double-post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back