Links to specific posts

Re: What I would like to see in Excel 2016

I think you meant this link rather than the one you posted...
No, I meant to link to your post as I figured mine would be easily visible below that anyway. No real difference either way.

No, I meant to link to your post as I figured mine would be easily visible below that anyway. No real difference either way.
Just so you are aware why I posted what I did... the link you provided takes me to a message by you agreeing with this suggestion "The ability to resize the 'Evaluate Formula' window" (which was not posted by me) instead of one about "find all".

Just so you are aware why I posted what I did... the link you provided takes me to a message by you agreeing with this suggestion "The ability to resize the 'Evaluate Formula' window" (which was not posted by me) instead of one about "find all".
That is odd. :confused:
When I click the link I posted in post #99, it takes me to post #31 in the thread. Which post number does it take you (I didn't search the whole thread :))?

Only thing I wonder is it related to how many posts per page you view? Mine is 10.

That is odd. :confused:
When I click the link I posted in post #99, it takes me to post #31 in the thread. Which post number does it take you (I didn't search the whole thread :))?
It takes me to Message #81... top of the page that our current set of messages are on (at least for me, that is).

Only thing I wonder is it related to how many posts per page you view? Mine is 10.
Mine is 40. How did you create the link.... the one I posted was made by right-clicking the message number in the title bar for the message I wanted to reference and selecting "Copy Link" from the popup menu that appears... I believe that to be an absolute link back to the message.

It takes me to Message #81... top of the page that our current set of messages are on (at least for me, that is).
Mine is 40.
That certainly sounds like the issue relates to posts per page.

How did you create the link.... the one I posted was made by right-clicking the message number in the title bar for the message I wanted to reference and selecting "Copy Link" from the popup menu that appears... I believe that to be an absolute link back to the message.
I normally left click on the message number and then copy the address from the address bar. Doing it as you describe, still for post #31.

I normally left click on the message number and then copy the address from the address bar. Doing it as you describe, still for post #31.

When I copy the link that I posted in Message #100, this is what I get...

Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge-v-2-0/695674-what-i-would-like-see-excel-2016-a.html#post3455070[/PLAIN]

This is what I get when I copy the link you posted in Message #99...

Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge-v-2-0/695674-what-i-would-like-see-excel-2016-a-4.html#post3454807[/PLAIN]

They are not the same... is that what you see also?

Last edited:

They are not the same... is that what you see also?
Yes. With a bit of further investigation, the appendix "-a-4" appears to mean the page of the thread. Post #31 is on page 4 for me. "-a" for you is probably the default (page 1). Hopefully we can find a way to definitively point to a particular post. I'll ask in the Moderators forum.

Yes. With a bit of further investigation, the appendix "-a-4" appears to mean the page of the thread. Post #31 is on page 4 for me. "-a" for you is probably the default (page 1). Hopefully we can find a way to definitively point to a particular post. I'll ask in the Moderators forum.
The number at the end are also different... if they were supposed to point to the same message, shouldn't the "#post" (post number?) be the same?

The number at the end are also different... if they were supposed to point to the same message, shouldn't the "#post" (post number?) be the same?
The numbers are different but aren't the two links pointing to different posts?

The link I posted in post #99 was to post #31 (even though it didn't work for you)
The link you posted in post #100 was to post #32 wasn't it?

If you get the address of post #31, I'm guessing that you would get this? That is, same post number as my link but different page info because it is on page 1 for you.
Code:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge-v-2-0/695674-what-i-would-like-see-excel-2016-a.html#post3454807

Rick, since this discussion is a hijack of this thread topic I'm going to try to extricate our discussion posts and move them to the 'About This Board' forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkotas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back