Linking Tables

Patriot_BC

I have the following structure

Table #1
Issue

Table #2
Recommended Changes (Multiple recommended changes per issue)

Table #3
Notes (Multiple Notes per recommended change)

How would I link this to avoid creating redundant relationships and duplicate data? I originally had table 1 & 2 linked and then 2 & 3, but this seemed to cause problems. Sorry for the basic question, but I want to blow up this database at this point :oops: !

Shannon

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi Shannon

I don't know if this will help, given I can't see your table structures, but if you format your 'notes' as a memo field, then you can get 65,535 characters into that field (I would expect that would be more than enough). When you enter data into a memo field you can press 'Ctrl' and 'Enter' at the same time to get a new line (i.e. a carriage return), so that you can get some primitive formatting into that field. If you do this then you could include the 'notes' in table 2 and eliminate table 3. Incidentally, when using the memo field on a report set the 'Can Grow' property to yes to display all of the data in that field, which means you don't have to reserve a large portion of your report for that one field.

However, given you have a one-to-many-to-many relationship then you have set up your tables correctly (assuming you used a unique id in table 1 and linked on that to table 2, and linked another unique id from table 2 to table 3). If this hasn't helped, can you elaborate on the problems?

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Update...Fixed

I ended up recreating the db and it worked. Somewhere the relationships were very broken. Also, I used another person's db and it didn't seem to ever work properly. I just made sure only one of the linking fields was an autonumber and everything is good.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragananthony7911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back