Linking form controls to tables

smardonl

I'm a very new access user and trying to develop forms with which to gather information from the user. I have developed the forms containing all fields necessary, primarily using text boxes to obtain the information. How do I go about linking the forms to the database to update the tables? Also, I have developed a search key on the form. How do I link the search box so that the form will populate the appropriate information? Sorry if these questions are really basic, but mrexcel has never failed me before... Thanks in advance for any help.

L

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Welcome to Access! In answer to your questions:

1: When making a form for working with table information, you should always specify which table the form is based on when you create the form. Then you can choose the fields from the table that you want to include in the form (probably all of them) and they will automatically be linked to the table. If you've built the form the wrong way, I would probably recommend starting over, since you're new. It will be easier that way.

2: When creating a combo box to look up a record in the table, make sure the Wizard button is turned on. It looks like a magic wand. In the first dialog box that pops up, choose the last one (I think it's always last) that says "Find a record in my form..." then complete the wizard as normal. That should make it work correctly.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. I'm thinking now, judging by your suggestion that I may be in way over my head with the form I've created in design view. Basically, there are about 70 fields (attempting to be) captured by text boxes on one form, organized with tabs. These fields; however, relate to 18 different tables. I'm guessing that this is not possible to link by each individual field?

Upvote 0
Hmm... it is possible, but only if Access understands the relationship between the different tables. There has to be one column in common between each table that has information that connects the tables, if you're going to have one form report from all of them. You set up relationships from the toolbar button that looks like three little boxes with lines between them. Just drag the field that's in common from one table onto the other. Oh, and at least one of the fields has to be the primary key for that table for the connection to work. If you haven't done any of this yet, you're definitely going to need to start the form over.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back