Linking External docs to a report

mdusoe

I have been given the daunting (which is polite for crappy) task of maintaining a Job System in Access 2002. It tracks our work requests and work progress for a small (20 or so people) Software Development Dept.

Currently, I have a directory which stores all of our "Linked Documents". These can be anything from Text files (which came from the original Job System, which was COBOL based), to word docs, to pdf scans of Agency Requirements, to Excel Spreadsheets showing statistics - just about anything. They all begin with the 9 character job number, which is 2004-xxxx. My forms all handle this well, with a listbox using a looped Dir() function to populate it.

I also have a report called the Work Spec, which is a detail of each object that is meant to be changed, and it includes information for the QA group for what was tested and how to test, etc.

Here's my dilemma. I need to be able to print each of those documents in the Path that begin with the job number at the end of the report. I don't really even know how to begin. Should I put something into the Report_Close Event, or ReportFooter_Format? Do I insert each file as an object into the document, or print them separately after the Access Report has printed? And how would I go about doing that?

Can someone please provide some direction?
Thank you so much!
Mike.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
So if I am not mistaken, you have a list of files:

c:\1111-xxxx.pdf
c:\documents\1111-xxxx.txt

and so on...

And you want to take that list and print each document?

Is that correct?

Kevin

Upvote 0
Yes, sorry I haven't been back here for a while...

That is exactly what I want to do, but have them print as part of a report. In other words, I want to be able to export the report as a snapshot, and it will include these files...

Probably asking too much...

Thanx for responding,
Mike.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back