LINKING EXCEL FILES

JL_CAD

Board Regular
I currently have a few Excel files that contain duplicate data. I would like to make a database in Access where the fields used in more than one sheet is updated in all sheets. I would like to link the files rather than importing them into Access because I am working with users over a network that might not have Access available to them. I need to know if there is a good way to accomplish this. Thanks

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Are you saying you want to be able to update several Excel worksheets with the information from one Access database?

If so, that shouldn't be too hard, I would use Data|Get External Data|New Database Query, and for each sheet, use MSQuery to query from the database. Each query can have its own set of fields, so you can have the same field on several sheets, without having enter redundant data.

When you enter the populated data set, if you click on the little explamation point, Excel will refresh the data from Access.

If I'm way off, post back with more specific information and we'll see what we can do...

HTH,

Upvote 0
Can I link all my tables together in a blank database, or do I have to have an existing?

Upvote 0
Are you saying you want one Access db to combine data from several worksheets, if so, yes. Use File|Get External Data and either 'link tables' to have your table's data updated reguraly, or import tables for just retrieving data.
The data will be retrieved into Access in the form of linked tables and queries, and your data will remain in Excel.

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zxhathust

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back