Linking between multiple sheets/workbooks

MasterBash

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I am very lucky that a kind member was able to build an excel sheet for me to help to me synchronize data between different sheets. I really appreciate his help.
Unfortunately, the management did not approve. Not because the project I am working on isn't a good idea... They loved the idea, but it needs to be built differently.
It needs to answer a few questions :

Data security - Some clients can only have access to one or two sheets. Some others can only have access to one sheet. None of them should have access to our sheet. Since they have access to the online version of Excel, I think the only option is to use different workbooks and synchronize between those, instead of using sheets, because VBA scripts do not work on the online version.

Sustainability - How to make it hard to break or rather, how to fix it once an Excel sheet breaks ? How to stop it from breaking in the first place ? Maybe a button to fix all the formatting and tables ? In this case, a VBA script would be fine.

Maintenance - How to keep going when there is just way too much data ? How to archieve old data ? I think we can archieve data that are over a month old, to keep the sheets/workbooks as fast as possible.

You may ask why data gets repeated so much... There is some confidential information that some clients should not have access to, but some others should be able to access. Some of us also need access to that data on our sheet (Shipments). Right now, we use google sheets for almost everything, but none of those sheets are synchronized, so we even everything manually 3-4 times.

shipments_5.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
2Load TypeCarrierTrailerLoad #Expected Date of DeparturePAPSPort of EntryRequest paps/poeCommentsSend e-mail to brokerDocuments to brokerEntry #Cleared DateCleared TimeSend e-mail to carrierActual date/time of Departure
3STOnew carrier7777
4STO9876yes
5STO5555no
6STO123402-01-24p1e19999
7FTLfedex343434pppppeeeeeenum
8STOcctt656565p1
9ABCctl
Shipments

shipments_5.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
2Load TypeCreation dateLoad #Trailer #2CarrierStatusContentWeightSealExpected Date of departureDocumentsEntry #PAPSPort of EntryReferenceCarrier expected pick-up date/timeActual date/time of departure
3STO06-07-241234loaded02-01-249999p1e1
4STO07-07-249876loadedyes
5STO29-06-244444loaded
6STO06-07-245555loadedno
7STO29-06-246666
8STO29-06-247777loaded
9STO07-07-24656565ttccloaded
STO

shipments_5.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
2Load TypeCreation dateLoad #Trailer #2CarrierStatusContentWeightSealExpected Date of departureDocumentsEntry #PAPSPort of EntryReferenceCarrier expected pick-up date/timeActual date/time of departure
3FTL06-07-24343434fedexloadedenumpppppeeeee
4FTL06-07-24121212122222ccccccloadedccccwwwsssedddddeeeeppppprrrrcccad
FTL

This is a workbook. This is a short version of it, but we are looking to synchronize different time of data.

1. STO / FTL sheet changes

1a. If Load# is entered manually, then Creation date = Today. Expected data of departure is Creation date + 2 work days.

1b. if Status <> Loaded then do nothing

1c. If Status = Loaded then
Load Type = STO (Load type is telling us if its an STO or FTL), then put Carrier, Trailer, Load #, Expected Date of Departure, PAPS, Port of Entry onto new line on Shipments sheet
Load Type = FTL (Load type is telling us if its an STO or FTL), then put Carrier, Trailer, Load #, Expected Date of Departure, PAPS, Port of Entry onto new line on Shipments sheet

2. Shipments sheet changes

2a. if Load Type = STO, Load# exists on STO sheet then put Entry#, Actual date of departure to the corresponding line on the STO sheet
2a. if Load Type = FTL, Load # exists on FTL sheet then put Entry#, Actual date of departure to the corresponding line on the FTL sheet

2b. If Load Type = STO/FTL but load# does not exist on STO/FTL sheet, then do nothing

Currently this is the VBA scripts :

How it works :
Someone fills out the FTL or STO sheets with Load type, Carrier, Trailer, Load #, Expected Date of Departure, PAPS, Port of Entry, and once done (Status = Loaded). We get that information from the FTL or STO sheets on the Shipments sheet. After we are done processing everything and we fill out the shipments sheet with entry# and/or actual time of departure, send the entry# and actual time of departure back to the STO or FTL sheets.

If some information is missing (lets say trailer# on STO/FTL sheet) that is fine. The trigger to sync the data to Shipments sheet is Status = Loaded. If we are missing the entry# or Actual date of departure on the Shipments sheet, we can still sync the entry# or actual date of departure, even if one of the 2 information is missing.

We must be able to manually enter information in the Shipments sheet.

How do we accomplish that ? Is Excel really the best option ?

Thank you in advance for the help. I know this is a big project that I am working on, and I don't really know how to accomplish this. If needed, I can post the current VBA script as an example. However, I can't use VBA to synchronize data.

Once again, thank you ! I am taking any suggestions and recommendations. Like I said, maybe Excel isn't the best option in this case.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Bumping this thread, I am still interested to know if it is possible to do this and if yes, how to accomplish this.

I don't know if I am going the correct way with this, or if there are better solutions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back