Link tables using VBA question...

hollifd

Board Regular
I have a back end database holding tables of data and a front end database holding forms, queries and reports etc.

Users currently click on a batch file on their desktops that will copy down the front end to their C:Temp folder and then start the database which is linked to the back end on the network.

My problem...
The front end database has linked tables to the back end database. The link spells out the network location of the backend database like U:NCCODE......etc.

Some users are mapped to this network drive using a drive letter different than "U:"

My thought was to somehow link the tables using VBA and spelling out the drive connection like \dbdenccode......etc hoping that this would work regardless of what letter the users have mapped to.

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Does this idea sound like it could be a solution or is there a better way. Can anyone point me in the right direction about how to link the tables using VBA?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

David

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hi, just as a matter of interest did you use the code in that link and did it work? Might need to do that myself one of these days :)

Upvote 0
Parry,

I did use the code after some modifications and was able to make it work. I have to admit though, that I do not fully understand how it works. If you need an explanation of how I made it work, just let me know and I can send you some info.

Thanks for your time and pointing me in the right direction.

David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MNexcelguy19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back