link a VBA checkbox to a Cell to change value

brianv

Board Regular
I want to able to link a checkbox to a cell so that the cell value changes depending on the checkbox. Only 1 direction.

Now i know i can do this easy using the form control checkbox, but i cant change the physical size of the checkbox or the text style, and that check box is stupid small.

I know i can do this with the Insert | Control | Checkbox as well, and i can get that to work just great, but the only issue (minor I will agree) is that my cell formatting and the widths of the columns, make it so that the check boxes are not 'spaced' evenly, so it looks like **** (again i know, minor issue). But i may add columns to overcome this if needed.

But what i would really like, is a VBA form to open on a button, (i can do that), with the 6, 7 or what ever number of checkboxes that i need to control a cell value. The cell value is then used to filter a table of data, in this case 42 rows of wire types, and the check boxes will hide/unhide row or wire that is needed or not needed for electrical installation projects.

Its a quick way for designers to turn things on/off without scrolling though and adding 1 or 0 to those columns then filter.

So what i dont know is the VBA code so that checkbox 1 is linked to cells B5, B8, B9 or whatever cells to change its value to 1 or 0, 1 is using that cable on that row, 0 is not using it so its then hidden.

And finally, can i filter the rows and turn off (remove) the filter box in the header (not shown) and it still stay filtered?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
What about this:
- you use textboxes instead; that way they can be as large as you want with any available font characteristics.

When you load the form set all to a checkbox font of your liking - e.g. ChrW(&H2713) Other colours/styles are available as well.
- user clicks textbox to remove that character (set value to ""). Unchecked means it will not be visible in a filtered list.
- tb can be linked to a cell so you can know what row that is. However, the linked cell will show a check mark, so make that a helper column with width = 0
- code could then hide that row on the sheet. I can't tell if it should do anything else, such as set a quantity to 0 or whatever.

I've found that you can't put your controls on a sheet as hiding a row disables the textbox. I have not done this so it's all speculation on my part but I think it would be doable.

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention that the character number I posted is a check mark - I think it's a Wingdings font. That's how the check mark would get into the linked cell(s).

Upvote 0
Im not sure I am following you...

Are you referring to FormControl text box, int he developer tab?
Or when i create a userfrom in VB, use a textbox in that form?

Upvote 0
I'm referring to an ActiveX control (textbox) that normally goes on a userform because that is what I thought you referred to when you mentioned a form. Does that help?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I went ahead and created a userform with a number of checkboxes, simply because i ended up with too many options to make all the selections look clean when inserted directly on the worksheet.

The Userform, "WireForm" opens on simple button:
1726198728619.png

I have each checkbox updating cells B5:B32 with either a "" empty cell (unchecked) or "1" (checked). Actually the checkboxs ControlSource is linked to P6:P23, then a IF statement in B6:B23 controls the 1 or 0.
Some of the checkbox control multiple cells, for ex: Checkbox12=P8, P9=P8, P12=P8... so if P8 is TRUE so is P9 & P12.

I don't want to use filters, because well, i have people at the office who just don't know how to use them, so i want the rows to hide as the checkbox is checked or unchecked.
I did find code to hide a row based on the value in each row, as the checkbox was selected, which was perfect, but i deleted it and cant find it any more, had something like:

Checkbox11.value=TRUE then
Hide row 5
else
Unhide row 5
end if

But i just cant find it anymore. The only catch i had was on checkbox11, it turn off cell B5 and turned on cell B6 and i could tell it to do both rows, its only worked on 1 row.

Alternate,
How do I call a Private Sub to run?
I do have code setup to hide rows based on a doubleclick on cell C3.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    Const COL_VISIBLE = 10
    Const COL_HIDDEN = 0
    Dim lngCol As Long, _
        lngRow As Long, _
        i As Long

'ignore clicks outside the target range
    If Intersect(Target, Range("C3")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    lngCol = Target.Column
    lngRow = Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Row

'show and hide columns and rows
    If Cells(1, lngCol).Value = "Show" Then
        For i = 2 To 2
            Columns(i).ColumnWidth = COL_VISIBLE
            ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode = False
            Cells(1, lngCol).ClearContents
        Next i
    Else
        For i = 2 To 3
            If i = lngCol Then
                Columns(i).ColumnWidth = COL_VISIBLE
                Cells(1, lngCol).Value = "Show"
            Else
                Columns(i).ColumnWidth = COL_HIDDEN
            End If
            'With Range(Cells(5, lngCol), Cells(lngRow, lngCol))
            With Range("B3:B" & lngRow)
                .AutoFilter
                .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>"
            End With
        Next i
    End If
End Sub

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Upvote 0
i want the rows to hide as the checkbox is checked or unchecked.

Perhaps like this for every checkbox
VBA Code:
Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()
    Hide_UnHide_Rows
End Sub

and the sub getting called
VBA Code:
Sub Hide_UnHide_Rows()
Dim cel As Range, rng As Range

Set rng = Range("B5", Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp))
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
rng.EntireRow.Hidden = False
For Each cel In rng
    If cel = "" Then cel.EntireRow.Hidden = True
Next cel
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back