Linear Regression in Log Scaled Plot

daoriaf

My data is non linear but becomes linear when log transformed. To keep the axis values easy to understand, I have a plot of the untransformed data with the axis in the logarithmic scale.

I want to plot a linear regression line on the same plot but I cant get it to look linear because my plot if of the untransformed data. Is there any way I can do it?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
My data is non linear but becomes linear when log transformed. To keep the axis values easy to understand, I have a plot of the untransformed data with the axis in the logarithmic scale.

I want to plot a linear regression line on the same plot but I cant get it to look linear because my plot if of the untransformed data. Is there any way I can do it?

Thanks!

I have just tried in Excel 2010 and it is possible to choose Logarithmic when adding a trend line. Does that not work for you?

I drew the scatter plot, right clicked the line, selected Add Trendline then selected the Logarithmic option.

Upvote 0
That won't work because it would give me a natural logarithmic regression (Ln). I need it to be a LOG10 regression.

Upvote 0
Nothing.

I have not checked this in detail but I will tell you what I have done and then you can judge if I am doing it right or not.

I listed some numbers from 1 to 35. I took ln of those numbers and plotted them with a logarithmic x-axis and fitted a logarithmic trend line. The result was a straight line graph.

When you queried my initial answer I changed the calculation to log10 and repeated. I still got a straight line graph.

Upvote 0
Hi

It is always better to post a table with data.

Can you post a small table with sample data? This way we can all do the same test.

Also, which axis has the log scale?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csktwyr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back