Limited possibilities for field - best practice?

drmweaver2

I'm sure this is such a basic question that some of you will laugh, so please "be gentle"... Lol

Okay, here's the deal. I am designing a system where 2 different tables (Item, Accessory) will have a field with one of the same 8 "condition values" and only one of those 8 "condition values" (ex., Factory New, Excellent, Good...).

Is it better to make 1 table with the 8 conditions in it (ConditionID, ConditionValue) and make a relationship between the Condition table and the 2 other tables or simply incorporate the Condition Values in a "pull down" on a form?

Would the answer be different if there are more than 3 similar situations? That is, assume I'm tracking Condition, Status & Finish for entries in Weapon, Accessory and RangeEquipment tables, for example?

What is a "reasonable cutoff" where it's more efficient to just stick the limited number of restricted values in a form as opposed to keeping a number of small tables and creating relationships between all of them and the various "larger"/main tables?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Not sure I understand, but have you considered a 2d table?
condition down the side, value across the top - table body contains the "value"?

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand...
Okay, try this...

2 tables (Weapon and Accesdory) each have a field named Condition
The allowable values for Condition are:
1 - Factory New
2 - Excellent
3 - Fine
4 - Very Good
5 - Good
6 - Fair
7 - Poor
8 - Bad

Should I use a combo-box pulldown referencing a separate Condition table (fields ID_Value, ConditionName) for this.... or just type in the values to the left of the dash? My problem is I'd need to know what the 8 values represent and I don't know how to do that. I think that's what I'm asking....

Would your answer change if there are more than 3 "major" tables with similar situations - that is a total of 8 combo-boxes on 3 different data entry forms referencing 6 other small, 2-field, tables for their values?
The other small tables include things like Status, Finish & Frame material, each of which has no more than 8 valid values.

Or would you just embed the values in the data entry form itself?

Upvote 0
Whichever you prefer is fine. I think tables are easier to understand and maintain (one year from now are you going to remember that this information is embedded in a form control?).

If you want you can have one table. I forget how I organize this. I might call such a table DBTokens or DBLookups.
Then you can keep it all in one table:
DBType, DBToken, DBValue
Condition, Excellent, 1
Condition, Good, 2
Condition, Fair, 3
Status, Something, 1
Status, SomethingElse, 2
Status, YetAnother, 3

The values can be tricky. What if someday later you decide you want to put something between Good and Fair. There are no numbers left between 2 and 3. So you may want to just stick with text values. Otherwise you really have to treat the numbers as enums and not pay attention to whether 2 is greater than 3. It's just an identifier to distinguish the two. The cost of a join to get a value may be worth little to you in this case, if the only join you are using is to get the lookup populated with a description. So you can use the lookup tables to populate the controls, but store the values directly in the tables also.

If I did you separate lookup tables for each type of lookup, I'd probably prefix the tables with something just to keep them all together and separate from my other tables:
lkpCondition
lkpStatus
lkpFrameMaterial

Upvote 0
I appreciate the replies thus far.
Seems that the lookup tables are the way to go though I might wind up with about 8-10 of them with just 2 fields and maybe 8-15 values/data rows each.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRASHLEY

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back