Like Functions

psugrads

I have a table that has over 26,000 records. I need to group Company Names that are similar. But need to review before they are grouped.

I would like to be able to setup a query to look for and identify similar Company Names. Return an identifier in a column beside the like Company Name field that flags the Like Names as "Like" and leaves the others blank.

Is this possible and how would I do this?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hmm. Similar is hard. But if they all start the same, you can just use

Like "ABC Compan*"

in your query criteria.

Hope you find what you need,

Russell

Upvote 0
Indeed, 'similar' is tricky. If you can specify how you define similar, you can use wildcards as stated above if you know certain letter will be together.
If you don't, I was thinking put some expressions as new fields in your query, and have these expressions look at various text elements to help you find similar records, such as left(NameofInterest,5) and you could just check the left 5 letters, or len(NameofInterest) to check length. I don't know, I'm just rambling, but 'fuzzy' searches are tricky. The ability to do a 'fuzzy' search can make or break a search engine!

HTH,

_________________<EMBED width="118" height="52" src="http://corticus.biz.ly/CorticusLink.swf"></EMBED>
This message was edited by Corticus on 2002-11-26 10:08

Upvote 0
Sounds to me that you have different entries for the same entity which is caused by varying abbreviations. Like Company, Co, Co. all meaning the same thing but when included in a report gives you different results. If this is the situation the way I would correct it would be to create a query including only the affected field and click "Totals" symbol to display all the unique combinations of the field. With all the variations you can choose which one to make the standard for each entity. Then make a drop down list to eliminate this problem. Been There!
This message was edited by John in PA on 2002-11-30 12:49

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmrwnx89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back