Lest we forget....

arkusM

In honour of all who fought and those who died. I will not forget.
poppy_icon_transp.gif

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
My 0.02:
As a German I simply don't get the American (and British) hero-worship of veterans. Here we do have a national day of mourning - for ALL the victims of war, be they military or civilian, German, American, british or of any other nationality. It's called Volkstrauertag.
Any person who is killed or wounded in any armed conflict is one person to much. Who ever causes the wounding or death of another human is not someone to be worshipped, but someone to be despised.

Let's be careful not to turn this into a political debate. The first version of the Lounge was actually closed down some years ago because of some rather heated discussions like this that got out of hand.

If we see any of that starting to happen here, we will remove this thread from the Public Forums.

You might be getting a slightly incorrect view of the British/American veteran treatment.

As an Aussie, we respect those who serve to protect the sovereignty of our country primarily, and the freedoms of others. To my mind at least, a career in the armed services is a fairly selfless choice.

Your last sentence is true, but we don't worship those who cause wounding/death (the conflict initiators), (in fact we don't worship anyone) but we rember the sacrifice of those who suffered and died for the freedoms that we in the first world take for granted.

Last edited:
No argument, yytsunamiyy.

The "rightness" or justification of war or of any particular war can be left to others, I will not engage.

I believe soldiers pay a heavy price against their soul and their humanity for their actions and choices.

On this eleventh day, of the eleventh month, on the eleventh hour the sacrifice and tremendous loss to War is not forgotten. I mourn for all their souls and wear the blood stained poppy to be reminded of the cost of war. A contemplative ritual... lest we forget.

Like Joe, I can remember the old lounge being shut down and why. I have made a couple of attempts to craft a brief response to yytsunamiyy, trying to diplomatically state my POV, which I believe is shared by many or most of my countrymen.

But I am unable to draft anything that does not risk encouraging political debate so I shall keep my big yap shut on that point and simply express my gratitude to all who have shouldered a weapon and stood watch against Evil so that I might sleep under a blanket of freedom and that I might offer the same blessing to my children. Thank you. :bow:

I don't want to turn this into a political debate either. From my POV every single person that was wounded on body or soul or killed is to be mourned. I don't believe that the dead ask for the "right" or "wrong" of their death. Each and every one is a tragic loss to humanity.
I am thankful for the freedom I enjoy and I thank God and the allied armed forces for not having the third Reich win WWII. Neithertheless, I can not understand the way you honour your vets - it just looks too much like hero-worship rather than mourning to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back