Learn Excel - Worksheet Name in Cell - Podcast 1982

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Aug 9, 2016.
Use a formula in Excel to put the worksheet name in a cell. Also in this episode: =CELL("filename",A1) returns the path and file name
Look for the right square bracket using FIND
Add 1 character to the result of FIND
Pass that to MID
Uservoice votes at Create a function that returns the list of sheet name(s) in the workbook = SHEETNAME(), =SHEETNAMES()
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
MrExcel podcast is sponsored by "MrExcel XL", a book with 40+ Excel tips, plus Excel cartoons, ****tails tweets and jokes.
Learn Excel from MrExcel podcast, episode 1982 - Worksheet Name in a Cell!
This podcast is part of a series where I'm podcasting this entire book, go ahead and click up there to subscribe to the MrExcel Excel playlist.
Alright, yesterday I showed you how to use fast worksheet copy, by CTRL-dragging, and, did you notice that the worksheet title up there was automatically changing?
How did I do that?
It is this crazy formula that we have to use, in order to get the worksheet name into a cell, and it all starts with this formula here, =CELL("filename"), cell of a filename returns the complete path, workbook name, and sheet name.
Alright, so that gives us a lot more than we want.
And then I have to find where that right square bracket is, so the FIND(" ]") tells me that that's in position 53, but the sheet name then must be one more than that, so, whatever the result of the find is +1, we start there, and then use the MID, from 54, and just go out, you know, however long you think.
20, 25, whatever you need to do, to get the longest possible sheet name.
And then to put it all back together, there's the MID of the CELL, where do we start, we do the FIND of the ] within the cell, +1, go out 20, and then I concatenated the word "Report".
Alright, so let's just do a little test here, if I call this "Summary", as soon as I press Enter, you see that, that changes.
I hate putting this in the book because, it's not something I can remember, I have to go back to page 13 in the book, every time I want to try to do this, and, in fact, just in July, someone named Anonymous, created an Excel.UserVoice.com idea, for SHEETNAME() and SHEETNAMES() ! This one's worth a vote, if you voted yesterday, go out and vote for this one today, I created a short link: mrx.cl/sheetname , that would be a nice thing to do.
So we won't have to go through this crazy, crazy formula, every time we want a sheet name in a workbook.
Well, this month I'll be podcasting this entire book, it'll take the whole month or you can just save time, buy the whole book right now.
It'd be a great cross-reference to all the things we talked about, in this month's podcast.
Recap for today's episode: We started using the CELL("filename") function, gets me the whole path workbook name and file name.
Look for that ] using FIND, add one character to pass that whole thing to the MID.
Let's just vote to have the Excel team fix this!
Alright, hey I want to thank everyone for stopping by, we'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back