Learn Excel - Sum All Sheets Faster Podcast 2090

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on May 4, 2017.
Sum a rectangular range on all worksheets
=SUM(
Click on Jan sheet
point to the range
Shift-Click on Dec sheet
press Enter
Or, type =SUM(Jan:Dec!B4)
Bonus trick: Adding Total Row & Column in one click of AutoSum
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast, Episode 2090: The 3D Reference with Two Sets of Colons.
Hey, welcome back to the MrExcel netcast, I’m Bill Jelen.
Our question actually came up in my seminar in Bloomington, Indiana.
And I usually talk about these 3D References where we have all of these different month names and then show how to build a spearing formula that will add up cell B4 on each of the sheets from January through December.
But what came up today was - No, we just want one formula that's going to sum the whole thing and yeah, that is possible =SUM and I want to come back here and click on January, choose all of the cells.
Let's get this out of the way.
Choose all the cells that I want to sum from the January sheet and then Shift-Click on December.
Watch this formula right now.
Right now it's pointing at 1 rectangular range on one sheet; when I Shift-Click on December, it rewrites it into a rectangular range on all of the sheets from January through December.
I mean, don’t have to click the closing parenthesis, just press Enter and it goes and grabs all of those numbers all the way across.
Cool, cool formula like that with 2 colons.
A : in the sheet name and a : in the rectangular range we're pulling back.
Now, what I usually show is just this little formula here where we have to do =sum(Jan:Dec!B4) like that - Regular 3D Reference but it also works 3D Reference pointing to an entire range, like that.
Hey, let's just do one more bonus trick here since this trick was so short.
If you have to add totals across the bottom and down the left- down the right-hand side, most people come here, hit the AutoSum, Copy across.
And then here, hit the AutoSum and Copy across.
Check out this awesome, awesome way.
I just choose all the numbers plus 1 extra column plus 1 extra row then hit the AutoSum and it adds the totals all the way around the outside.
Why did the number change?
Because these numbers are still ran between; but a cool couple of tricks.
3d References absolutely there in the book, Power Excel with MrExcel, the 2017 Edition.
Click that “i” on the top-right hand corner to read more about the book.
Okay, episode wrap-up: We're going to set my rectangular range on all worksheets, start off by typing =SUM click on the January sheet, highlight the range with the mouse and then Shift-Click on the December sheet, press Enter.
Don't even need the closing parenthesis or if you're looking for just a single cell =SUM(Jan:Dec!
and the cell that we want.
A little bonus trick there at the end, adding the total row and column in one click of AutoSum.
Well, thanks for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honggamthienha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back