Learn Excel - Pull Data from Corrupt Excel Workbook - Podcast 2183

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jan 23, 2018.
Excel Recovery Link: http://mrx.cl/2rkppvk
How can you recover data from a corrupt Excel Workbook?
#1 best way: Open the workbook in a newer version of Excel
2. If you can open the file, copy and Paste to a new workbook
Save the new workbook before you try to close the old one.
The method shown in this video: Power Query!
Power Query is a free add-in from Microsoft for Excel 2010 and Excel 2013
It is built in to the Get & Transform group on the Data tab in Excel 2016+
Get Data, From File, From Excel Workbook
Browse to your file
Choose one worksheet
Click Load
The data comes in as a table. Copy & Paste Special Values to a new workbook.
This method won't preserve your formulas or formatting, but it will get the values back.
Step #4: Invest $39 in Excel Recovery from Stellar Phoenix http://mrx.cl/2rkppvk

Title Card Photo Credit: Andreas N @domeckopol / Pixabay
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast, Episode 2183: Load Data from a Corrupt Excel Workbook.
If you're watching this video, I feel bad for you.
I could be in the same boat right now.
This repaired file is not repaired at all.
This file, I've been working on this file all weekend, and I can open it, I can see the data.
But, the thing is corrupt.
See, I have two sheets.
No formulas here, just data-- tons and tons of data-- data out to column L, down to row 214-- lots of work.
And any time I try to do anything with this, the file crashes.
In fact, even if I just try and select the data to copy it, to take it somewhere new, Ctrl+C, Microsoft Excel has stopped working.
This thing is just lost.
Alright, here's my approach when I have a corrupt workbook.
The very first thing I try and do, especially if I'm working in Excel 2013, is take that workbook to the computer that has 2016 and open it there.
Nine times out of ten, that solves the problem.
Excel 2016 can deal with corrupt data better than Excel 2013 can.
Although, in this case, I'm already in Excel 2016, in the latest version of Excel 2016, so, that's not going to help.Try to copy and paste to a new workbook; as you just saw, that's not going to work.
Step three: Power Query.
We're going to cover that in this video.
And then, step four: If all else fails, go out to Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair-- there's a link down in the description down there, and it's $39.00 to buy their software that will try to recover the data.
But, today we don't have to do that because I'm going to be able to solve this with Power Query.
Ctrl+N for a new workbook.
I'm in Excel 2016.
This only works in Windows; if you're on a Mac, I'm so sorry for you.
If you're in Excel 2010 or Excel 2013, you're going to download Power Query for free from Microsoft.
So, here's what we're going to do: Excel 2016 Data tab; I'm going to Get Data (this is in the Get & Transform Data); Get Data From a File; From a Workbook; find the file; click Import, and they show me the two lists.
The first worksheet I had was VideoList, and that second worksheet was RecapWork.
So I'm going to choose VideoList; they show me my data; I'm just going to simply click Load.
Alright, beautiful.
It comes in in a table, and I really don't want it as a table, but that's easy enough.
Select all this data; Ctrl+C (actually, I got too many columns there...Ctrl+C...); go to a brand new workbook, Ctrl+N; and then Paste Special Values.
That was Alt+E+S+V-- there's many different ways to do that, use your favorite; and all we have to do is change the column widths, and then here this date has to be a short date, and then here-- this is also short date-- press F4.
Alright, so now I'm going to save this: File; Save As; "RecoveredYoutubeArticleList." Alright.
We got the first half back.
Now, let's see.
Let's do Ctrl+N again; Data; Get Data; From a File; From a Workbook; go back to the exact same workbook, the corrupt workbook; this time, I want to go to the other worksheet-- the recap worksheet; again, just click Load; the data comes back; select the data; Ctrl+C; and I guess I can come here to my recovered file; Insert a new worksheet; Alt+E+S+V to Paste Special Values; and that data is back.
Now, you're going to lose formulas.
You're going to lose links.
But for me, right now, today, all I wanted was the data back!
There were no formulas in there!
I just didn't want to have to recreate this data that I spent all weekend working on.
That worked for me, alright?
Most of the time, just opening Excel 2016 solves it.
Try to copy and paste to a new book-- that didn't work.
Power Query, today, solved it.
If none of those work, then have $39.00-- Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair will be able to recover that data from your workbook.
Check the link down there in the YouTube description.
Episode recap: If you have a corrupt Excel file, the best thing to do is try and get to a newer version of Excel, open the workbook there, see if you can save it-- removes the corruption.
If that's not going to work, see if you can copy the data from Excel; paste to a new workbook; be sure to save that new workbook before you come back and close the old one.
Lots of times, it's when you Close that the file will crash.
Third method (from this episode)-- using the Data tab, look for Get & Transform Data, and then Get Data.
It uses Power Query.
If you're in 2010 or 2013, you can download Power Query for free from Microsoft.
If you're on a Mac-- sorry, no Power Query.
And then step number four: If nothing else works, then Stellar Phoenix software here-- this URL down in the YouTube description, about $39 bucks-- usually will be able to help get at least most of the data back.
Well, hey, I want to thank you for stopping by.
Good luck with your file.
We’ll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back