Learn Excel - Funnel Charts - Podcast 1968

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Feb 12, 2016.
Create a funnel chart in Excel 2016. This new chart type was added in February 2016 for subscribers of Office 365.
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel podcast, episode 1968 - Funnel Charts!
Welcome back to the MrExcel netcast, I'm Bill Jelen.
Yet another new feature that just came out in February 2016 for Office 365, is the Funnel Charts!
There were all kinds of hacks to do these in the past, but now it's just built in, so here's how we do it: A list of categories, a list of values of those categories, select that data, go to the Insert tab, and then right here, underneath the Waterfall or Stock Chart, they've added Funnel Charts, look at that how easy is that!
Let's talk about a few things here, first off it starts off with this really dark blue, and of course to change the colors, we're going to use the Paintbrush, go to Color, where they offer a lot of other really dark colors, I guess that one there will allow the text to show up.
What if we want to vary the colors by point, right?
That seems really obvious, well if you go to the Format tab and choose Series 1, right here, this is the fill area, where they normally would have that check box for various colors, but no!
You're more than welcome to use a pattern fill, or a gradient fill, or a solid fill, but there is apparently at this time, no way to vary colors by point.
That is one of the things these brand-new charts, there's a few of them that were introduced in Excel 2016, they just don't have all of the functionality that we used to have, in the old version of Excel.
This last "I" down here, that doesn't have the labels, or some way to have those labels appear to the left or to the right.
No, there's just not.
The only things I can find, that are kind of interesting, is the gap width.
Right now it's by default at 6% gap, you can change that if you wanted the funnel to have bigger gaps.
Rather than having that, I would have much rather had a way to change the color of each point, but here we are to change the labels, to make the labels more easy to read, choose that data in the cells, CTRL+1, and we use a 1,000 separator.
Click OK.
Alright great, now I have commas, but I've lost that label, it's even worse!
Let's do CTRL+1, and go to custom, and I will show it in tenths of millions, so comma, comma.
The first comma says Show in Thousands, second comma, Show it in Millions, put an M there after it, in quotes.
And we still don't get anything for that last label.
I guess you can grab a pen and draw it in, or a pencil, or you know, whatever, I don't know.
That's crazy that we just don't have as much control here.
But, if you needed to create funnel charts, here it is in Office 365.
Again, you have to be in Office Insider, or the First Release program, and you'll have access to this new chart.
Alright hey, I want to thank you for stopping by, we'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back