Learn Excel - Easy Year-over-Year - Podcast 1998

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Aug 25, 2016.
You have 2 years of detail data in Excel. Use a pivot table to quickly compare last year to this year. Recap:
Start with multiple years of data
Insert, Pivot table
Drag date field to row area
Excel 2016: Press Ctrl+Z to ungroup dates
Drag revenue to values area
Select any date in row area
Use Group Field
Choose Months & Years
How to add subtotals to years field after grouping a pivot table
Use Tabular form in a pivot table to give each row field its own column
Repeat All Row Labels to fill in the blanks in a pivot table
Drag years to the column area
Right-click Grand Total column heading and remove
How to avoid GetPivotData function when formula points to a pivot table
To build a variance, type the formula without mouse or arrows
Thanks to Александр Воробьев for suggesting this tip
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel podcast, episode 1998.
Pivot Table Year over Year.
I'll be podcasting this entire book, go, click that “i” on the top right hand corner, for the MrExcel Excel playlist.
Hey, welcome back to the MrExcel netcast, I'm Bill Jelen.
Today the first topic in the book about Pivot Tables and how to create a year-over-year report.
So we're starting out with the data set, that spans two years, you see, we go from 2018 through 2019.
I'm going to create a Pivot Table, Insert, PivotTable, OK, that’s okay, let’s it go to a new worksheet.
On the new worksheet we're going to take the Date field and drag it to the Rows area.
And then, you see, in Excel 2016 it automatically groups things up.
Now I know most people are still in Excel 2013, maybe Excel 2010, so I'm going to press Ctrl+Z to undo.
That's the experience you'll get in 2010 and 2013, we're going to take the Revenue field and drag it to the Values area.
So we start out with an ugly report, there's going to be hundreds and hundreds of rows, because it's every single day that we had sales.
But I'm going to go to the very first date field, very first date field, go to the PivotTable Tools, Analyze, in 2013 or 2016 and 2010 it was called Options, and choose Group Field.
Make sure that you choose a date before you choose Group Field and roll things up to Months and Years.
Or Quarters and Years, or Months and Quarters and Years, click OK.
And what we get, is a new virtual field called Years down here in the Rows area.
Now some annoyances.
It's annoying that they don't give us Year totals, it's easy enough to fix that, although in my case I don't need to fix that.
We click Field Settings and Automatic, because I'm not planning on leaving the Years here.
Of course every time I create a PivotTable, I go to Design and say Show in Tabular Form to get everything into its own column.
And then Repeat All Item Labels to fill in those blanks along the left hand side.
Again, that wouldn't be necessary here, because I'm not planning on leaving the Years where it is, I'm going to take the Years and drag it over to the Columns, and that's the report that I was shooting for.
Alright, so we have Months going down the left-hand side, 2018 to 2019.
In column D, what do I really want, I don't want a Grand Total, I'm going to right-click and say Remove the Grand Total and now we're outside of a PivotTable.
So, %Change, very tempting to build this formula using the mouse or the arrow keys, but you can't, because you'll get the… get Pivot Data function, which does not easily copy.
So =C5/B5-1, we’ll format that as a percentage and double click to copy it down, right.
Beautiful report showing where we were last year, where we were this year and then the percentage change from year to year.
Well, this tip and 40 others, are all in this book.
Go ahead, click that “i” on the top right hand corner, by the book.
Alright, so you start off with the data set with multiple years, do Insert, Pivot table, drag the date field to the row area.
And in Excel 2016 press Ctrl+Z to undo their automatic grouping updates.
Why don't we just leave this here?
Well, it actually depends.
If you would have data from, let's say, January 2nd through December 30th, they're not going to group that data correctly.
It has to spend an entire year for you to get the year field.
It might be that it works out for you, I'm a bit of a control freak, I will rather just have control, that's why I undo.
There is: drag the revenue to the values area, select any cell, any date in the row area and then Group Field, choose Months & Years, drag years over the column area, right-click the Grand Total to remove and then build a variance, type in the formula, don't use the mouse or arrow keys.
I have no idea how to pronounce it, but thanks to this reader (Александр Воробьев) for suggesting this tip and thanks to you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peaches000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back