Learn Excel - Conditional Format All Formula Cells Podcast 2066

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Mar 26, 2017.
Go To Special, Formulas - but it is not "live"
There is a new function… HASFORMULA? No!
Great new feature in Office 365 to find a function by typing part of the name
The function is ISFORMULA
Select the range
Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule, Use a Formula
The formula should point to the top left corner cell of your selection
=ISFORMULA(B2)
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast, Episode 2066: A Conditional Format to Identify Cells That Have Formulas Well, hey, welcome back to the MrExcel netcast, I’m Bill Jelen.
Another great question from that Knoxville, Tennessee seminar yesterday. This was from Michael.
Michael right in the front row.
Michael says - I was showing how to do a formula auditing to mark all the formula cells.
Let's just create some quick data here and put some formulas in.
And so, I was talking about ,you know, the one-time thing you could do here under: Home, Find & Select, and select Formulas cells and apply a little bit of formatting to them.
But that's a one-time thing, alright.
If something changes and a hard-coded number now that continues to work.
And so Michael in the front row said, “Well, hey, is there a way that we can use Conditional Formatting to mark formulas?” Alright, so, you know, just picture this.
You know, I'm live in front of an audience and I'm trying to scramble it, come up with a way to do it because I knew that there's a new function that came along in Excel 2013.
And I thought that function was =HASFORMULA, alright?
And it's not coming up, right.
Clearly, I’m remembering something wrong, so check out this brand-new thing that started happening in Office 365 and I love this.
I knew that it was something formula, alright?
HASFORMULA.
So what I did is I typed the part that I knew, =FORMULA, and they showed me - even though, I'm not typing the IS, they showed me all of the functions that have the word formula in it.
And that's what it is, it’s ISFORMULA.
It saved me in front of this live audience.
So we're going to use this =ISFORMULA function.
Alright, so here's how we're going to do it.
Select all of the text and, you know, hey, I learned this from Mike Girvin.
If you're going to set up Conditional Formatting, it's best to figure it out off to the side in a regular formula first because we wouldn't have those nice tool tips in Conditional Formatting.
We're going to create a New Rule, New Rule.
And I may use a formula to determine which cells to format and I'm applying this to a range that starts in B2.
So this formula has to work, has to be from the point of view of B2.
So =ISFORMULA of B2, like that and, you know, what we're going to do, we'll just put a little orange fill here like that, click OK, click OK.
Alright, and there the formula cells are being highlighted.
If someone comes along and builds a new formula cell, it'll show up.
If we take an existing formula cell and hard coded, the formatting won't go away.
Now, the bad news, ISFORMULA, new function in Excel 2013, so if you're going to still look Excel 2010 or Excel 2007, you would have to go back and find a - There's a hack running around on the internet, there where you use a custom user-defined function to do this, and you'd have to go back to that.
Hopefully though, you're on Excel 2013 or newer and it's all good now.
This tip and all sorts of other tips like it are in the book, Power Excel with MrExcel.
Click the link up there in the top- right hand corner to check that out.
Alright, so in episode recap: Start out using Go To Special, Formulas and then choosing a fill color, but that's not live.
It doesn't update.
So, there's a new function.
Was it HASFORMULA?
No, no, it wasn’t.
There's this great new feature in Office 365 to find a function by typing the equal sign and some part of the name.
And I discovered- I remembered the function is ISFORMULA, new function in Excel 2013.
So, you select the range that you want this to work in, Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule, Use a Formula and make sure the formula points to the top-left corner cell of your selection.
So, in my case, =ISFORMULA(B2).
Oh, hey, I want to thank you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reelspike

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back