Learn Excel book and PDF version

candle_66

This might sound a really cheeky question but I will ask it anyway.

Does anyone know if by buying the learn Excel from Mr Excel book, whether I will be able to access the PDF version as well?

I see on the website I can buy the PDF but am wondering if by buying the book we can access the pdf version.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
That is a good question. I know that some publishers (I think Wiley) do provide the PDF when you buy the book.

I've been following the QUE convention of selling the print version and the e-book version (PDF) separately. So - currently, you would have to buy both to get the the complete PDF along with the text.

I am interested in perspectives on this. Do people want the PDF because it is searchable, or because it is portable?

I have some reasons for not giving the PDF, but I am not sure that any of them are totally valid.

Weak reason #1: In many cases, I don't have rights to the e-book version. So - if you bought Learn Excel and received the PDF and then bought another title and could not get the PDF for free, you might feel ripped off on the 2nd title.

Weak reason #2: As a publisher, I am concerned that it is much easier to pirate the PDF as opposed to a printed book. (I can't quite make that argument with this book, since I am already giving 10,000+ copies away via the weekly e-mails). I don't cruise the file sharing sites, so I don't even know if the complete book is already out there, but I figure that if there are fewer complete PDF files floating around, the better chance that I will not have the book being passed around the file sharing sites.

Weak reason #3: I have to be aware of the fact that 80% of my print run is going to be sold by the bookstore chains. They are a very important partner to me since they move a lot of volume. The bookstores will say it is unfair if I give away the PDF as an incentive for buying from me. So - I would have to come up with some way that you could mail in your bookstore receipt to get a PDF copy of the book.

Sorry for the long answer. I would be interested in hearing your and others opinions on this topic.

Bill Jelen

Book and PDF

After posting the question, I realised the implication of doing a PDF version as it is very much open to abuse.

I understand the reservation about the PDF version. It is much harder to copy a book than it is a PDF.

If I was a writer I would want people to buy the book rather than send out the book in PDF format as this can be "shared".

People can find anything on the internet and I am sure the PDF version would be found by doing a "Google".

I only raised the question as I am an avid PALM user.

I guess selling a PDF version would come down to trust and in this day and age that is quite hard to find.

In the end I purchased the book which I will carry around.

The PDF version, in my view will reduce sales of the book and I do not think a spreadsheet is needed to work that out !

I love the website and cannot wait to receive the book.

Thanks

Howard

Just a comment on PDF... and DRM

First of all I should note that I have bought the VBA and Macros book in pdf format about a year ago - the BOOK is excellent, really had a good time (I have been programming for years).
The DRM PDF E-BOOK is probably the worst thing I have seen my life, and I completely understand anybody trying to crack drm.
Reasons: the pdf is linked to the DRM system. Every time I want to transfer it to/from my laptop/home computer, I have to go to the drm center, un-register, then re-register - otherwise it won't work. Re-installed the os and forgot to de-register? Tough luck, no way to read the book again.
One of the reasons I've bought the pdf to copy the program bits -it does not allow copying at all. I have adobe acrobat reader 5.0 full version - it won't even open the pdf, because DRM is only available 7.0 upwards...

So while I know that pdf is very easy to abuse, I'd also say that if you've bought one pdf e-book with this system, you'd never buy another one :). SO got myself a paper copy. ANd will stick to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back