Largest 10 items by varying categories

Jim Wilkinson

Hi.

I've wrestled with this for several hours so any help is much appreciated. I have a table containing 5,000 projects by value. I want to show the top 10 by Project Manager and by Financial Period. I have been asked not to use VBA or Pivots.

I have used the following formula to successfully return the top 10 from the whole list:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$5000,MATCH(1,INDEX(($B$1:$B$5000=LARGE($B$1:$B$5000,ROWS(Z$1:Z1)))*(COUNTIF(Z$1:Z1,$A$1:$A$5000)=0),),0))

Column A = JobName, Column B = Value£, Column C = Project Manager, Column D= Financial Period

I now wish to add to it the Project Manager criteria, the Financial Period criteria - and, in fact, any other from the table as required.

Or indeed, use any other technique.

Many thanks in advance

Jim Wilkinson

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Welcome to the board.

Why can't you use pivot tables? It would be much easier to manipulate your data and use the top 10/bottom 10 feature to derive the results you're after. If it's work, I would push back and advocate Pivot Tables by showing the final result from the pivot table.

Upvote 0
Thank you. It is because the data is dynamic - the table refreshes from a sequel database and the pivot table would not refresh 'automatically' without use of VBA

Upvote 0
for the Project Manager, replace $B$1:$B$5000 with IF($C$1:$C$5000=$E$1,$B$1:$B$5000), where E1 field the project manager required, similar for others

=INDEX($A$1:$A$5000,MATCH(1,INDEX((IF($C$1:$C$5000=$E$1,$B$1:$B$5000)=LARGE(IF($C$1:$C$5000=$E$1,$B$1:$B$5000),ROWS(Z$1:Z1)))*(COUNTIF(Z$1:Z1,$A$1:$A$5000)=0),),0))

confirm with control-shift-enter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alan - thank you for that - it works excellently for single criteria - how would I run multiples?

you just keep nesting the ifs, e.g. if the Financial Period is in Column D and specified in Cell F1 then

($C$1:$C$5000=$E$1,$B$1:$B$5000) becomes

($C$1:$C$5000=$E$1,if($D$1:$D$5000=$F$1,$B$1:$B$5000)) etc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back