Large if/then statement

squeakums

Office Version
  1. 365
I need your help with this large if/then statement or to see if it is possible:

If column E2 = "Draft" and column G2 = "Accept Risk" then Yes OR
If column E2 = "Draft" and column I2 = between the date range listed in column T1 (for example it would show date range 4/1/24 - 6/30/24 then yes OR
If column E2 = "Draft" and column G2 = "Risk Tolerance Review" then Yes OR
If column E2 = "Closed" and J2 = between the date range listed in column U2 (for example it would show date range 4/1/24 - 6/30/24 and column I has a date less than what's in column U2 then Yes OR
If column E2 = "Closed" and J2 = < is blank> AND I2 < V2 then Yes OR
If column E2 = "Deficiency in Progress" OR e2="Pending Validation" and J2 = <is blank> AND I2 = "Past Due" then YES
Otherwise if none of these are meet, then No

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
It would be much easier in the formula if you could separate the two dates in each date range into separate cells
eg.
T1 and U1 have start dates, and T2 and U2 have the respective end dates

If you put the whole date range in one cell, Excel does not evaluate that as dates. It is just text that would have to be parsed apart into two dates and then it makes the formula much more complicated.

This formula used the T1/T2 and U1/U2 date ranges...

Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(AND(E2="Draft", OR(G2="Accept Risk", G2="Risk Tolerance Review", AND(I2>=T1,I2<T2))),
AND(E2="Closed", OR(AND(J2>=U1, J2<U2), AND(J2="", I2<V2))),
AND(OR(E2="Deficiency in Progress", E2="Pending Validation"),AND(J2="",I2="Past Due"))), "Yes", "No")

Upvote 0
It would be much easier in the formula if you could separate the two dates in each date range into separate cells
eg.
T1 and U1 have start dates, and T2 and U2 have the respective end dates

If you put the whole date range in one cell, Excel does not evaluate that as dates. It is just text that would have to be parsed apart into two dates and then it makes the formula much more complicated.

This formula used the T1/T2 and U1/U2 date ranges...

Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(AND(E2="Draft", OR(G2="Accept Risk", G2="Risk Tolerance Review", AND(I2>=T1,I2<T2))),
AND(E2="Closed", OR(AND(J2>=U1, J2<U2), AND(J2="", I2<V2))),
AND(OR(E2="Deficiency in Progress", E2="Pending Validation"),AND(J2="",I2="Past Due"))), "Yes", "No")
Alphafrog,

I am very grateful for the code you sent. It almost works for me. The only errors I'm getting is for this code is the following to the slightly modified formula:

=IF(OR(AND(D2="Draft", OR(F2="Accept Risk", F2="Risk Tolerance Review", AND(H2>=$T$1,H2<$T$2))),
AND(D2="Closed", OR(AND(I2>=$T$1, I2<=$T$2), AND(I2="", H2<=$T$2))),
AND(OR(D2="Deficiency in Progress", D2="Pending Validation"),AND(I2="",H2<$T$2))), "Yes", "No")

These are not working:
this one needs to be added as well - If column D2 = "Closed" and column F2 = "Risk Tolerance Review" then Yes.
also, this other formula section doesn't appear to work correctly it should be OR if I2 is blank and H2 is less than or equal to U2 -----instead its listed as AND(I2="", H2<=$T$2

How would I edit the formula for these two?

This is the breakdown below for the 2nd formula I'm trying to fix.
  • Deficiency Status(D2) = "Closed" AND "Deficiency Target Date (H2)" is in Quarter tested (t1 (start qtr) t2 (end qtr) AND “Deficiency Close Date (I2) is blank or (I2) is a date comes after the last date in the Quarter tested (for example after 6/30/2024).
The ones below are failing in the formula.

1723489002519.png

Upvote 0
Alphafrog,

I am very grateful for the code you sent. It almost works for me. The only errors I'm getting is for this code is the following to the slightly modified formula:

=IF(OR(AND(D2="Draft", OR(F2="Accept Risk", F2="Risk Tolerance Review", AND(H2>=$T$1,H2<$T$2))),
AND(D2="Closed", OR(AND(I2>=$T$1, I2<=$T$2), AND(I2="", H2<=$T$2))),
AND(OR(D2="Deficiency in Progress", D2="Pending Validation"),AND(I2="",H2<$T$2))), "Yes", "No")

These are not working:
this one needs to be added as well - If column D2 = "Closed" and column F2 = "Risk Tolerance Review" then Yes.
also, this other formula section doesn't appear to work correctly it should be OR if I2 is blank and H2 is less than or equal to U2 -----instead its listed as AND(I2="", H2<=$T$2

How would I edit the formula for these two?

This is the breakdown below for the 2nd formula I'm trying to fix.
  • Deficiency Status(D2) = "Closed" AND "Deficiency Target Date (H2)" is in Quarter tested (t1 (start qtr) t2 (end qtr) AND “Deficiency Close Date (I2) is blank or (I2) is a date comes after the last date in the Quarter tested (for example after 6/30/2024).
The ones below are failing in the formula.

View attachment 115307
Anyone have any idea on this edit please?

Upvote 0
What started in post #1 as column E seams to have changed to D in post #3.
I left it as column E.
Then I followed the suggestion of @AlphaFrog and separated date ranges from column U into U and T, range from previous column T into V and W, and the date in column V in post #1 is column X.

With that in mind here is the formula to get the yes in column R:

Book3.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX
1Deficiency StatusDeficiency Target DateDate2ResponseStart dateEnd dateStart date 2 Original col UEnd date 2Date 3 Original col V
2DraftAccept RiskYes
3Draft06/08/2024Yes04/08/202415/08/2024
4DraftRisk Tolerance ReviewYes
5Closed06/08/202406/08/2024Yes04/08/202415/08/202408/08/2024
6Closed06/08/2024Yes07/08/202408/08/2024
7Deficiency in ProgressYes
8Pending ValidationPast DueYes
9ClosedRisk Tolerance Review06/08/2024Yes
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
R2:R9R2=IF( (E2="Draft")*((G2="Accept Risk")+(G2="Risk Tolerance Review")+(I2<>"")*(I2<=U2)*(I2>=T2))+ (E2="Closed")*((J2<>"")*(J2<=W2)*(J2>=V2)*(J2<X2)+(G2="")*(I2<X2))+ (E2="Deficiency in Progress")+ (E2="Pending Validation")*(J2="")*(I2="Past Due")+ (E2="Closed")*(G2="Risk Tolerance Review"), "Yes", "No")

Let me know if this works for you.

Upvote 0
=IF( (E2="Draft")*((G2="Accept Risk")+(G2="Risk Tolerance Review")+(I2<>"")*(I2<=U2)*(I2>=T2))+ (E2="Closed")*((J2<>"")*(J2<=W2)*(J2>=V2)*(J2<X2)+(G2="")*(I2<X2))+ (E2="Deficiency in Progress")+ (E2="Pending Validation")*(J2="")*(I2="Past Due")+ (E2="Closed")*(G2="Risk Tolerance Review"), "Yes", "No")
Look at the post I sent, if Draft and accept risk .. closed and risk tolerance review...not sure about the code above because you have I2<>"" for a draft item?

View attachment 115486

1723749782211-png.115487

I'm trying to understand the Or(AND inserts and how they work. This is the code I currently have written. It's still not producing the correct responses for these items. I don't know if I have the or(and wrong or what exactly?

=IF(OR(AND(D2="Draft",AND(F2="Accept Risk",OR(D2="Draft",H2>=$T$1,H2<=$T$2))),
OR(D2="Closed",F2="Risk Tolerance Review",OR(D2="Closed",AND(I2>=$T$1,I2<=$T$2,H2<=$U$2),
OR(D2="Closed", AND(H2>=$T$1,H2<=$T$2,I2=""),
OR(D2="Closed", AND(H2>=$T$1,H2<=$T$2,I2>$T$2))))),
OR(D2="Deficiency in Progress",D2="Pending Validation",I2="",H2<$T$2)),"Yes","No")

Attachments

• 1723749782211.png
    1723749782211.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
You are making it really hard to help you. Not only have you moved the columns from the original logic you posted in #1 but you have also changed the actual logic ie Draft + Risk Tolerance Review switched to Closed.
(Plus only posting the new logic as a picture)

AND means all must be True, OR are alternatives.

Keeping that in mind try this:
Select the cell with the formula in it.
Home > Excel Labs (far right of tool bar)
Advanced formula environment (top panel) > OPEN

See if that helps you work out your ands and ors.

Upvote 0
It would be helpful is you could share a sample of your file. Upload to a cloud storage and share the link.
And detail again al the corrected conditions you need in one post?

not sure about the code above because you have I2<>"" for a draft item?
That check for I2 being different from "" is needed, because if I2 is blank and the start and end dates are also blank (I2<=U2)*(I2>=T2) would return true, and that is not what we want right (being U2 start date, and T2 the end date)?.
You can write logic operators with * and +, where * would replace the AND and + the OR:
These formulas would yield the same result in logical terms:

=AND(A1, B1)=A1 * B1
=OR(A1, B1)=A1 + B1

Upvote 0
You are making it really hard to help you. Not only have you moved the columns from the original logic you posted in #1 but you have also changed the actual logic ie Draft + Risk Tolerance Review switched to Closed.
(Plus only posting the new logic as a picture)

AND means all must be True, OR are alternatives.

Keeping that in mind try this:
Select the cell with the formula in it.
Home > Excel Labs (far right of tool bar)
Advanced formula environment (top panel) > OPEN

See if that helps you work out your ands and ors.
The draft to closed - I made a correction there. The code I made changes because I added the date fields to the right. Then, I posted a very detailed picture with the code that I have. This used to have an option where I could upload a workbook but I don't see that option to attach any longer, just the upload image option. There's an upload mini sheet but this is from my work pc and it doesn't allow me to download whatever is required to do that.

Upvote 0
It would be helpful is you could share a sample of your file. Upload to a cloud storage and share the link.
And detail again al the corrected conditions you need in one post?

That check for I2 being different from "" is needed, because if I2 is blank and the start and end dates are also blank (I2<=U2)*(I2>=T2) would return true, and that is not what we want right (being U2 start date, and T2 the end date)?.
You can write logic operators with * and +, where * would replace the AND and + the OR:
These formulas would yield the same result in logical terms:

=AND(A1, B1)=A1 * B1
=OR(A1, B1)=A1 + B1
For the OR code - is it using a multiple symbol? Confused what its doing there

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zxhathust

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back