Laptop - Sales of Goods Act advice

JamesW

Hey guys,

The SMART controller on my laptops HDD reported a fault. I went to the retailer where I purchased the laptop and asked if they could replace the HDD, they said that as it's not under warranty I would have to pay.

I mentioned the Sales of Goods act (not fit for purpose) and they mentioned that in order to do that I would have to send it to an independant engineer (at my cost), get them to verifiy it is a hardware failure, then write a letter to the head office of the retailer and hopefully get a refund.

Is this true? I thought they would be able to run diagnostics on it in store and do it there and then... I may as well buy my own HDD and do it myself if what they are saying is true...

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I would have thought (as a bar-room lawyer obviously, rather than one with any legal training) that they are giving you the run around .... I would put your case in writing, quoting the error details and back it up with information gleaned from the web as to the cause.

Request a reply within 10 working days and advise them that if they do not make adequate response that you will be taking a claim to the small claims court. The ball is firmly in their court then. If they don't reply I understand that the small claims court is very easy for an ordinary Joe (or James) to access .... good luck

Cheers Gypsy & Domski. Looks like they are doing this:

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair it, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.
I'll think about writing a letter, but for the sake of £40 (a new HDD) I may as well do it myself. I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending letters back and forth, and definatly don't want to go to small claims court (again for £40 I don't think it's worth it).

I'll think about writing a letter, but for the sake of £40 (a new HDD) I may as well do it myself. I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending letters back and forth, and definatly don't want to go to small claims court (again for £40 I don't think it's worth it).

Alas they probably work on the fact that if it's enough hassle then most people won't bother them with it.

Dom

Oh yes, still going strong... they now have a bit with the Rogue Traders fellows as well.

I love to watch the representatives squirm when Anne gives them a grillin' :cool:

Cheers Gypsy & Domski. Looks like they are doing this:

James,

This is about the principle, not the money.
It sounds like your claim is not frivolous. The little guy gets stepped on because we can't be bothered to stand up. Hows that for preaching!??! LOL. I regret not writing a couple of letters in times gone by...

Though, this is yet another example of stuff becoming less expensive and more cheaply made :(. It is becoming like we "owe" the company for buying their product, they seem to not care that we chose their product and have a basic expectation that it will perform as they claim. And when it prematurely fails (not broken, damaged etc), in normal use, to have it repaired/replaced, either at a reasonable cost or free. I guess this is too much to ask...

Good luck.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I totally understand what you are saying, however I need my laptop working sooner rather than later (I have about 10 job descriptions sent to me daily, plus I have some business I need to take care of). I may very well write them a letter anyway and get the cost of a new HDD paid back to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back