Kill marching ants

Giordano Bruno

Am I the only person in the world with this problem? When copying a range, I used to be able to hit the Esc key and the source would be lost. Now this has no effect and the ants continue to march around the copy range so that the next time I try to insert some cells, the source cells are copied also. The only solution I've found is to press Ctrl-x then Enter.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Thanks footoo and FD,

I'm glad to get some feedback even if the problem is not solved. I'm running Office 365 and Excel 16. Curiously, I have found that Shift-Esc works.

Upvote 0
Thanks footoo and FD,

I'm glad to get some feedback even if the problem is not solved. I'm running Office 365 and Excel 16. Curiously, I have found that Shift-Esc works.

This link might shed some light:
Fix: Esc key not working in Windows 10

Extract:

1. Use SHIFT + Escape
Like I said in the first paragraph, the ease with which the Escape key could be used in the past posed a lot of problems if it was pressed by accident. This is why most of the newer applications have now switched to using the SHIFT + Escape keys combination.
For example Google Chrome uses the SHIFT + Escape keys combination to give you access to its internal task manager, as you can see in the image below.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back