Kids homework!!

pompey007

If you had to design a dartboard so that when all 3 darts scored you could get every number from 3 to 100. What is the minimum number of numbers you would need and what would those numbers be?

How would you go about this?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Does this assume that you can get doubles and triples? Also, does each pie (number section) need to be the same size? Are there any other stipulations to this we may need to know?

No doubles and triples. I believe that the size of each section is irrelevant as it is the value of its number that will be used.

Thanks

Are you allowed a zero?

I don't think so.

It was quite ambiguous; it was something like "design your own dartboard where every number from 3-100 can be scored with 3 darts"

I can see how you can do it by using loads of different numbers (eg every number from1-34 would do), but I was wondering how you could calculate the smallest number of numbers you need?

How old is the child? Would they score extra points for ingenious solutions involving 0 and possibly negative numbers, or would this be frowned upon? :)

It's an intriguing puzzle - I think it's harder than it seems initially - the restriction to three darts is quite, well, restricting. I shall have a play later.

How old is the child? Would they score extra points for ingenious solutions involving 0 and possibly negative numbers, or would this be frowned upon? :)

It's an intriguing puzzle - I think it's harder than it seems initially - the restriction to three darts is quite, well, restricting. I shall have a play later.

Assume as simple an answer as possible, I will reveal age later as it is quite surprising!!

Good luck

Do you have to actually use all three darts, and score with them ?
For example, if the target value is 4, and one of the segments is 4, can you achieve it by using one dart in 4, and not throwing the other 2 (or letting them miss) ?
Or, do you have to make 4, for example, by using a 2 and two 1s ?

Do you have to actually use all three darts, and score with them ?
For example, if the target value is 4, and one of the segments is 4, can you achieve it by using one dart in 4, and not throwing the other 2 (or letting them miss) ?
Or, do you have to make 4, for example, by using a 2 and two 1s ?

Assume that you have to use all three darts, therefore

1,1,1=3
1,1,2=4
1,2,2=5
2,2,2=6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back