Key Field?

bobbieexcel

I am creating a student database. Is it better to create one huge table with all the information, and use different forms and reports to organize the information, or use several smaller tables with specific information? If I need to list of all of my students, do I have to enter each student for each table? I am sure this has to do with setting the key field. or is there a way to pull from a master table that will update each of the other table when a new student enrolls or student drops from registration? I certainly don't want to enroll or drop from each table. Pleae help!

Thanks,
Bobbie

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Woah. Bobbie, I don't want to sound discouraging, but it sounds like you should probably get some basic Access/relational database tutoring or maybe buy a Beginner's book. The first thing that you'll need to do is to forget spreadsheet logic when attempting to build a database; data should be stored completely differently in Access tables than Excel spreadsheets. Access is referred to as a "relational" database for a reason; data is stored in different tables and then those tables relate to each other. For example, in your project, you'd have a table just for the students, maybe a table just for courses, and then you'd probably tie these tables together in a third table so that one student can have many courses and one course can go to many students. You'd also have to think about how you're going to do class capacity, counting how many students are in a class so that you don't get overflow, etc. Sorry man, but it sounds like a bit too much to cover in an online forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back