StrawberryDreams

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
What would be the best way to go about designing a job task tracking scheduler where a Job task name , can show current status and date changes etc. but keep a historical record in another table of all the previous changes. I'm not sure if this is what a gnatt chart does.

Would a typical data entry form that exports all the job task information into a Main Table work ? Then pull up / search for that data entry record and if any changes are made to certain cells then save/submit it as another record even if the Job task name is the same ?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
My typical approach is to use a Worksheet_change event, so any time a field is changed, it will copy that row to another hidden sheet, along with the date of the change and the userID of who made the change. That way, you can have a chronological history of changes for that record.

Upvote 0
My typical approach is to use a Worksheet_change event, so any time a field is changed, it will copy that row to another hidden sheet, along with the date of the change and the userID of who made the change. That way, you can have a chronological history of changes for that record.
ok so that hidden sheet is just another table etc with all the data, and we're not creating a new hidden sheet with each worksheet change correct ?

Upvote 0
Correct. It's pretty much a duplicate of your main sheet with regard to columns...It is just an ever growing list of the records that were changed. On that audit sheet you can set auto-filters so you can filter for a specific task and see it's changes over time.

Upvote 0
Correct. It's pretty much a duplicate of your main sheet with regard to columns...It is just an ever growing list of the records that were changed. On that audit sheet you can set auto-filters so you can filter for a specific task and see it's changes over time.
cool thanks. From that Data Table that houses everything if I created an easy pivot table solution from that and lets say I had 4 different job task changes all under the same name ID#, I'm guessing the pivot table would show all 4 ( one per row ) ?

Or I guess get as sophisticated as I want, with more programming show last change and most recent etc.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you could use a pivot table...or just turn on auto-filter to show only the job task you want to see...and you'd see all changes for it. For example:
Here's a table where I have jobs/tasks listed.
1717449558426.png

As I change any of those fields, my audit sheet would grow...for example: NOTE: On the audit sheet I record date/time of the change, and who did the change, as well as the changed record.
1717449588935.png

I can then filter my audit sheet, for example if I want to see how job 456 changed over time...
1717449708474.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Yeah, you could use a pivot table...or just turn on auto-filter to show only the job task you want to see...and you'd see all changes for it. For example:
Here's a table where I have jobs/tasks listed.
View attachment 112205

As I change any of those fields, my audit sheet would grow...for example: NOTE: On the audit sheet I record date/time of the change, and who did the change, as well as the changed record.
View attachment 112206

I can then filter my audit sheet, for example if I want to see how job 456 changed over time...
View attachment 112208
Great thanks Joe, this will be a good start for simple project management, until I decide I need something different. Cheers Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back