Just what is so attractive about Excel ?!

Jaafar Tribak

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Love to know what your thoughts are, you XL fans, as to what makes Excel so popular or even so potentially addictive ?

In reality, I hardly if ever, need Excel at work. However, I just can't help but play around with some XL formulae or VBA snippets almost every day in my free time.

I have ,for some time now, been very busy trying to learn a different software but I somehow nostalgically keep on coming back to this and other XL forums even if I don't really have the time to actively participate.

Just why do we love Excel so much ? :-P :wink:

Regards.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi, Jaafar,

You can knead Excel like clay.

kind regards,
Erik

about your signature: If God can't lead you to Truth, just check out why by studying history. Allow Him to knead you.

Don't tell anyone but they put caffeine in it! :o

I like it because it is powerful, yet logical and intuitive. Access is just as powerful, but isn't nearly as intuitive. I use both extensively and like both. I believe Excel is much easier to teach than Access.

In my opinion, here are three advantages Excel has over Access (especially considering VBA):
1. Macro Recorder
2. Debugging is easier
3. On-line documentation is better

Sorry for responding late... Just came back from a short Holiday in Istanbul. - Beautiful place !

Don't tell anyone but they put caffeine in it!
Caffeine in Excel :nervous: ?... ah ! That's why I've been fidgetting like mad then ! ! Sounds like a good substitute for filter coffee though :lol:

I like it because it is powerful, yet logical and intuitive
Yes intuitive and compact is definitely what makes Excel more attractive than Access and easier to use.

Hi, Jaafar,

You can knead Excel like clay.

kind regards,
Erik

about your signature: If God can't lead you to Truth, just check out why by studying history. Allow Him to knead you.
Erik.

Speaking of God and Excel programming ....If one has an urge to play God, what better way than doing computer programming... One can then enslave Excel and knead their spreadsheet applications the way they want :)

Regards.

Sorry for responding late... Just came back from a short Holiday in Istanbul. - Beautiful place !

So close to me ... , be my guest next time. Nice to hear that, you loved Istanbul. :)

So close to me ... , be my guest next time. Nice to hear that, you loved Istanbul. :)

I loved those little old Ottoman Medresas in SultanAhmet where you can peacefuly enjoy all kind of aromatic Nargilas with mint tea in dream surroundings...It's like travelling back to the time of the Sultans . :)

I love the turkish culture but can't speak a word of turkish whose grammar is supposedly one of the most difficult to learn :huh:

Will definitely visit Turkey again when I get a chance.

allahaısmarladık!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolonG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back