Just wanted to say...

Ixia

Thank you to forum members for being here and for being so helpful. I'm a relative newbie to the forum who's posted a couple of questions re formulas in Excel and I've always received quick responses that solved my problems. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your help and patience.

Since I've found this forum I've learned a lot from reading the various threads and have gotten ideas of new things to try. I'm not into programming but VBA is even starting to look interesting because of it's power :laugh:

Ixia

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I'm glad you get the help you want in this forum.
Just tought I would give you a little warning about VBA.

Excel can do a lot without VBA, and you should learn as much as you can about Excels features before you start using VBA.

Sometimes a newbie on this board asks a question and gets some VBA code as an answer, when it could be solved with formulas (and maybe a little redesign of how you set up your data)

Starting to use VBA before you realy know the power of Excel, will in most cases result in users struggeling with VBA code instead of learning how to design a worksheet the right way.

Good luck on exploring Excel.:)

Excel can do a lot without VBA, and you should learn as much as you can about Excels features before you start using VBA.

By and large I would agree with that assessment. We definitely do get many newbies that say "I need a macro to..." when in fact they don't need a macro at all.

And paying attention to good worksheet/workbook/data design is also very good advice.

But I would disagree a smidgeon in that I would not shy away from VBA if it's the right tool for the job. With VBA whole new realms of possibility do become possible. The trick is not to see everything as a nail once you learn how to use the VBA hammer.

Eventually you may reach the point where you'll know how to solve a problem both with VBA & w/o VBA and can select the optimal solution based on other aspects of the situation.

...Good luck on exploring Excel.:smile:

Ditto, to which I would only add and good luck exploring MrExcel.com :wink:

I would definitely agree that a strong working knowledge of worksheet functions is a good idea before delving too deep into the world of VBA simply because of the level of tie in between the two. I regularly find myself using Application.WorksheetFunction…….. in VBA to make use of built in Excel Functions which save a ton of code/processing. Without knowing how to use these functions first, things would be much more complicated.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Good luck with all your Excel exploits!! :) :)

Thanks for the advice about VBA and Excel functions. I agree that it's best to have a thorough knowledge of Excel before jumping into VBA -- and I will heed your recommendations. I still have a lot to learn about Excel but it's by far my favorite piece of software. I wish my brain worked a fraction as smoothly (or well) as Excel does (grin).

Ixia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozdemr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back