Issues with IF function relating to time sheet/OT (XL13)

crissimorris

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L16ntEDMBukQT-NGXVpdwFhni4Eu4r54uEFMYgcTnuM/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully my link worked -

This is a time sheet I'm creating for work that tracks daily hours on a job. Overtime is any time before 7:00am or after 3:30pm Monday-Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday. I've spent 8 hours trying to get all the formulas set up so the spreadsheet becomes just data entry for my Administrative Clerk. I think I've figured out how to get the formula to work for the weekdays and I THOUGHT I had it figured out for Saturday and Sunday. Then I entered a date that started at 5:50pm on Saturday. For some reason, it has an issue with those start/end times. I don't know what else to do - help??

My issues (I think) are columns V,W,X.

Any other insight to make the formulas less complicated in the whole workbook would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
First off, if you are going to use time in a string, you have to coerce it back to a time value, usually by adding 0:

=IF(U11=0,"",MAX(0,MIN($L11,"15:30"+0)-MAX($E11,"7:00"+0))*1440)

But your formula results in a negative amount, and I'm not really sure what you expect for results.
Columns V,W,X also has 3 formulas but only 1 heading, what are those columns for exactly?

Your W11 columns shows 360 minutes which is equal to the total of 6 hours in U11.
It would help if you could explain what results you are expecting and why.

Upvote 0
First off, if you are going to use time in a string, you have to coerce it back to a time value, usually by adding 0:

=IF(U11=0,"",MAX(0,MIN($L11,"15:30"+0)-MAX($E11,"7:00"+0))*1440)

But your formula results in a negative amount, and I'm not really sure what you expect for results.
Columns V,W,X also has 3 formulas but only 1 heading, what are those columns for exactly?

Your W11 columns shows 360 minutes which is equal to the total of 6 hours in U11.
It would help if you could explain what results you are expecting and why.

For Row 11, the day of the week is Saturday. All day Saturday should be overtime. So I am expecting that cell X11 would return 360 minutes of Overtime. I know that the formulas are complicated (and maybe duplicated?), but this was the only way I could get the numbers to work. What I don't understand is that if you look at Row 17, which is Sunday, the formulas appear to work correctly and give me 480 minutes worked overtime in cell X17.

Does that help explain?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back