Is this possible?

TR21Mark

Board Regular
I have researched this for a while and finally figured I would post.

Let's say for example, I have a database named 'template'. This database is an Access 2003 database. I want to connect to this database via an application I am building in VB.NET 2003.

When I open the application, the program will have a form that will ask me to either 'Open' an existing project or 'Create' a new project. (These projects are just Construction project names).

What I would like to do is when asked to create a NEW project, the template db is copied and renamed by the value (string) that I type in a textbox, and is used throughout while the program is opened.

If I want to open an 'Existing' project, then it I need a Windows API OpenFile dialog box that will open and I can the select the DB to connect.

Let me explain the use of this DB. I have to walk several large construction projects weekly. I will be using a tablet pc. I have an interface that allows me to open CAD & PDF drawings of these projects so I can determine that everything is being installed properly and I can make my reports. I have made what used to be manually carrying large sets af blueprints, hand writing notes, typing Word and Excel docs, etc into a total electronic program.

I have so much data from these projects, which contains accounting data, estimated data, links to pdf and CAD (not embeded), that I feel I will reach my limits withing 6-10 months. I feel that that having a DB for each project, will actually give me better storage of data, that could be used or sent to other computers with this program.

Can someone please help with this?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I haven't tried anything like that before but it should be possible. In concept you could:

1. Save the DB as a template, or use filecopy to duplicate an existing master and rename it
2. If you are working with Access 2002 or higher there is a FileDialog object that lets you display a file picker for your users.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back