Is this percentage correct..?

Eggspit

If there are 67 sweets in the tin
And 19 of theses are mine
Does that mean 28% of the total sweets are mine (or is it 39%)?

Egg

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
My dim witted sister ..!
Ethics aside.
The bigger question is why would you argue with that. Sun Tsu said "never inturupt your enemy when they are making a mistake".
Never inturupt your sister when she says you are entitled to more.
Just get her emptically agee to and write down the percentage. Then reverse the math and now you get 26 of the sweets. :biggrin:

I love this website. Nowhere else would respected, intellegent people - experts in their field - take time out of their well paid jobs to settle an arguement between brother and sister about how many sweets they're allowed. Brilliant.

By the way, If I'm driving 50 miles to the seaside, at what point of the journey can I start saying 'nearly', when my son asks "Are we there yet?" I think straight away, my wife thinks that strictly speaking we should only say that when we're past the halfway point.

Compromise: up until halfway, say "ask your mother"; thereafter, say "nearly". :)

I love this website. Nowhere else would respected, intellegent people - experts in their field - take time out of their well paid jobs to settle an arguement between brother and sister about how many sweets they're allowed. Brilliant.

By the way, If I'm driving 50 miles to the seaside, at what point of the journey can I start saying 'nearly', when my son asks "Are we there yet?" I think straight away, my wife thinks that strictly speaking we should only say that when we're past the halfway point.

We only used to get asked when we hit a traffic jam. "I don't know" was not considered to be a suitable response.

Denis

19/67 = 28%

Where did you get 39% from?
If you start with 48, and increase it by 39%, you get 67 after rounding.

I've heard similar discussions when talking about price "markup" percentage. If the wholesale price is $50 and it's marked up to $100 for retail sale, is that a 50% markup or a 100% markup? Even though the markup is 100% of the wholesale cost, it's typically called a 50% markup (at least where I used to work).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back