Is there an IF function in Access?

bateman

Hello All,

In Access 2000, is there something similar to the IF function in Excel?

I want to compare two fields in an Access table and give a true/false when they match. There are over 700,000 records in the table so it would be painstaking to export into Excel by dividing the table up.

Or is there a way to run some kind of an update query asking to update field 1 when field 2 and 5 match? I'm very new to Access so forgive me if my suggestion above is not even possible! :oops:

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
In access 97 there is a IIF function in the expression builder in the design query view... Under program flow..

Look I been thinking I don't beleive you need an IFF statement to update the values.. go into the query in design view change the query type to update... I am assuming you have the table in the query you whish to update. Drag the field you whish to update in a column in the design view then in the update row type the new value then in the Criteria row type the expression that must be true for the field to be updated. In your case say fields2 = field3.

Upvote 0
If you are having to perform comparisons and do an update on the information you have mentioned then it is most likely that you have a flawed database structure and need to normalise your database.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudgetGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back