Is there an easy way to group by week in Access ??

jdowski

Board Regular
Hi All,

In Excel there's a function "Weeknum" that you can use to help group data by week. Is there something, anything, please !!! in Access that can easily be use to perform the same function ????

:confused: :confused:

Joe Dowski
Oxford, CT. USA

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
When you make a report using the wizard, it asks you if you want to do any grouping. If you choose a column containing dates for the grouping level, the default option is group by month. Click the Grouping Options button to change this to week.

Upvote 0
Thanks to both responders !!!

I now have what I need...
It's a little bumpy sometimes transferring my excel know how to Access but I'm learning.....

Thanks Again !!

Joe (y)
Rainy & Warm Oxford, CT. USA

Upvote 0
tis a pity the TEXT formula in Excel isn't as comprehensive as FORMAT in access - it's frustrating having to ask people to install the add-ins for Excel so they can use WEEKNUM

Upvote 0
Ok....now you've got me thinking....and in trouble again :confused:
I've created a field in my query that looks at the transaction date and then using the format function: format([transdate],"ww") gives me the week number of the trans date.

Now what I'd like to do in my query (and eventually the supporting report) is to display the first day of the particular workweek in dddd - mmmm d, yyyy format.

When I try to refer to my first expression which created the weeknumber and use another format function: format([expr1],"dddd - mmmm d, yyyy") all the results show the year as 1900 and the day being displayed are all different, not just Monday which what I would like. I realize there is a first day of the week constant I can use in the format function and I've tried it like this: format([expr1],"dddd - mmmm d, yyyy",2) but it doesn't work for me.

Help ! :eek:

Upvote 0
You also have the DatePart («interval», «date», «firstweekday», «firstweek») function in Access which has the advantage over Format() of returning Numbers rather than Text which makes sorting easier.

Peter

Upvote 0
Well let me explain a little further. I have transactions that take place between Monday & Friday but sometimes the first tranaction of the week may not be until Wednesday or Thursday. Right now my report will group by weeknum via the function I wrote: format([transdate],"ww"). But I want my report header to display the the weeknum not as a number but as the first day of the workweek - Monday. What's happening now is that if I have a transaction on Monday of a particular week, then Monday is the day used for the report group heading. However, if the first transaction isn't until Wednesday, then Wednesday is being used as the heading. I would like for all the headings to be Monday irregardless of when the first transaction takes place.

:eek:

Upvote 0
If you use the weekday() function on the date you have, that will tell you which day of the week it is,and you can then subtract it to get Monday.

HTh

Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back