Is there a way to emulate a junction table in Excel?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
ChatGPT has provided me with some excellent information. I now have about 50 chats on all kinds of subjects. The ChatGPT sidebar, which is the only chat “catalog”, is essentially useless if I have more than 10-15 chats. I want to create my own catalog. The best tool is a database, because it can “join” multiple subjects to multiple chats. But my access skills are not yet up to that challenge. Word is the easiest, but its tables are kinda limited.

So, I am going to give Excel a try. My plan is to have one “master” table with one row for each chat. It would have fields like Date, Title, Status, Rating, Comments, & Link (the chat URL).

I also want a Subjects field that I can sort on and filter on. I thought about just having a Subjects field, but that would be more difficult to sort on or filter on. I think I need a separate Subjects table that contains the valid subjects, like Science, Math, History, Politics, Access, Excel, Word, & ChatGPT. I think the main challenge is how to “connect” multiple subjects with multiple chats. In Access, I would have a subjects table and a junction table to make the connections.

Is there any way to emulate a junction table in Excel?

Or, is there another way to do what I want to do?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
If you use Power Pivot to create a pivot table of your data, then you can build a junction table using Power Query and load it to the Data Model. This is explained in the Ken Puls video I have linked below.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back