Introduction to Access

Will from London

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm reasonably proficient with Excel (inc VBA) but I've not really used Access. I'm going on a one day course described as Intermediate Access in a couple of weeks. (A basic course in my Office will not take place until there is sufficient demand so probably not for quite a few months.)

What would people recommend as the quickest way to get a basic grasp so I won't be totally lost. Unfortunately I won't have much time at work prior to the course as we're quite busy and I don't have it at home. I appreciate that just trying things out is the best way, but trying what?

I found a similar thread regarding Excel and there were some good posts on it (some transferrable), but I couldn't find one for Access.

For info a similar 'Intermediate Excel' course covered things like V(&H)LOOKUP, conditional formatting and basic Macros.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Will

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
A couple of things that come to mind:

1) Read up on data normalization and try to get a grasp on how relational databases work.

2) Have a look at the Northwind.mdb sample database that comes with Access. Look at tables in design view to see how they're made, and have a close look at queries. Try to find one with a calculated field and view it in design view, as well as SQL view to see how that works. Many of the "Excel-type" calculations happen in queries in Access.

Upvote 0
My first real learning opportunity was a book called 'Learn Access in 24 hours' - think it was supposedly 24 1 hour reading 'lessons' but it ran down all the basics you can do interactively.

But, truthfully, I never really learned things until I actually used it.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dofrancis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back