Internet Explorer has to close

mortgageman

Am I the only one who is getting (on a daily basis) those pop ups which say that IE has had a problem, and must close - Send to micorsoft or don't sent

It only happens on this new board.

Hey mortgageman.

Welcome to the joys of Microsoft!

Tell me, do you send the report or not? If you don't you should because what it will attempt to do is analyse your problem there and then and suggest a fix for you ... usually means downloading a patch. Of course, if its a problem MS is unaware of then it just says thanks very much and leaves you in a mess!

So, if you're left in a mess what can you do ... several things:

1. Go to www.windowsupdate.com and download all the required patches

2. Remove any spyware from your PC, try either windows defender or one of many other free packages (google free spyware removal tools)

3. Run msconfig.exe and look at the startup tab, remove any programs not required. Some spyware will install itself in the background. If you don't know if the program is required or not google it and you'll get a good idea of whats suppose to be there and whats not

4. Are you running a good antivirus client? Macafee or Symantec are ...well,lets not go there just ditch them and get a good one. Sophos is the best, it simply is better than the rest and worth paying a bit more and doesn't kill your machine like the rest do

5. Finally, try using a different browser. Firefox is quite good.

If all these fail ....... buy an apple :)

HTH

Chris

I rarely ever use anything other than Firefox so I haven't noticed anything - which version of IE are you using Gene?

Hi, Gene (& Chris & Richard :) )

I'm using IE6 without any problem of the kind.

kind regards,
Erik

Re: NEW BOARD: Internet Explorer has to close

No problem here

I rarely ever use anything other than Firefox so I haven't noticed anything - which version of IE are you using Gene?

I am using 6.0.<a whole bunch of numbers>
It only happens on this new board, and it never happened on the old board.

I believe I have isolated it now - it only happens when I use the down arrow key on this new board. I guess I am at the point of "ME: Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do this. Doctor: So don't do it!"

Maybe upgrade to IE7? I much prefer it to 6 and have had no problems at all.

I was having the same problem as mortgageman, and had also pinned it down to the down arrow. Also using IE6, and don't have an option to change on my work pc.

If it helps, for me the problem SEEMS to only occur if I press the down arrow immediately after a page has loaded - if I wait a few seconds the down arrow usually works fine.

Like mortgageman, I can't think of a better solution than "not pressing the down arrow key", but it's really difficult to keep remembering that ! :)

I was having the same problem as mortgageman, and had also pinned it down to the down arrow. Also using IE6, and don't have an option to change on my work pc.

If it helps, for me the problem SEEMS to only occur if I press the down arrow immediately after a page has loaded - if I wait a few seconds the down arrow usually works fine.

Like mortgageman, I can't think of a better solution than "not pressing the down arrow key", but it's really difficult to keep remembering that ! :)
Not fully tested - but waiting a few seconds also seems to work for me as well. So now we both have to remember to "not press the down arrow key for a few seconds after each page is loaded" great! :mad:

At least I know I'm not crazy.

FWIW, I just had the same message. First time. Now using IE7. (New computer)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back