Interest Rates

Long Nose

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
On Tuesday I did another refinance on my mortgage. This will break even in 4 years, but save $43,000 over the life of the 30 yr fixed loan. Of course that requires me to stay in the house that long.

So I've gotten a 4.375% Rate with 1.875 points 30 yr fixed. I am curious if that translates across the puddle. If so, what kinds of rates are available in your countries?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
getting a fixed rate for that long would be very tough here... im not even sure you can extend to 30 years as most of ours are 25 year to start with.

You can do 5 - 10 years fixed as an average you can get 8 years for 2.99%

Interesting, for the first time ever I've seen terms here advertised for 40 years. Yes there are also 15 year terms, but a vast majority seem to be 30 year. For many of these fixed types there are no prepayment penalties, so you can turn a 30 year into anything you want.

Most of the 10 year rates will allow overpayments but not until 5 years into the term

I have actually seen 50-year mortgages offered recently to my surprise. I don't know why people would do it, but I guess maybe with the uncertain economy and with no pre-payment penalties it might not be a bad idea if the rate was right, but I just recently bought a house and got 5% with no points for 30 years.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/mortgages/20060427a1.asp

If you can only get 10 years fixed, then doesn't that price you out of many potential home buys? Or is there a longer term available with different terms? Like the 25 yr, how does that work?

5% with 0 pts is a good rate. Contrats. 50 year? Wow.

Last edited:
I remember Standard Life offering a 25 year fixed rate in the UK about 7 years ago when I was first looking but the rate wasn't fantastic and I think that is quite unusual over here.

At the monent I pay about 4.5% on a variable rate mortgage after my 5 year fixed rate ran out about 18 months ago. I was keen to get on to another fixed deal at the time but dragged my feet so long that the crunch startef to hit and the deals vanished pretty quick but as it turned out it was the best thing that could have happened.

I'm waiting until I get back off my hols at the end of Feb and then I'm going to assess my finances and see what is out there. I'm lucky in that even with the price drops I reckon I still have way over 50% equity so should be able to leverage something pretty good.

no you can still get a longer term but it becomes variable after the fixed rate term of 10 years

In Canada generally you get a 25 yr mortgage (though there are other options).
Then they have the interest clause that is renegotiated every 5 or so years.
For example my rate at the moment is prime mortgage rate less .75 points. But that rate was only offered to me for five years after that they renew with a new rate. (and I doubt that I will get sub mortgage rate again). Cynically it seems to be a way for the banks to ensure they get their pound of flesh plus some extra! As if the coumpounding interest was not enough.

There are a lot of products out there, 40-50 yrs 0-down, interest only etc. But like I said commonly the interest rates are only for 5 yr terms.

As far as I know and I will defer to someone in that business.

A 30yr fixed sure helps with the budgeting!

EDIT: Longnose I just realised that you are in the USofA... feeling dumb... I still find it interesting that you can get a 30yr fixed rate...
I guess the US way and the CND way are fairly different.

Last edited:
I'm lucky in that even with the price drops I reckon I still have way over 50% equity so should be able to leverage something pretty good.

You are in a great position. I'm just under 50% which is amazing, when only eight years ago I had to take a second loan (80/20) just to get a loan to cover 80% of my home. There was a sweet spot for home buyers several years ago, who saw their asset values rise off the charts.

Who knows whether we'll ever see that happen again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back