Inserting lines in existing table

Sean.Avery

I have a list of 300+ names. I want to insert 2 lines between each name, and want to put the thick black border around each set, so Line 1 will be Name 1, then line 2 and 3 blank, and a thick black border around that group, then Line 4 will be Name 2, then line 5 and 6 blank and a thick black border around each.

This list changes as people come and go, so instead of doing it manually, I am hoping there is a faster way.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
A quick way to set this up would be to type a 1 next to your first name (say, in cell B1), then under that type =B1+3. Copy that formula all the way down to B300, or whatever your bottom row is.

In B301 type 2, in B302 type 3. In B303 type =B301+3. Copy that formula down to B900 (or whatever you need).

Copy the whole of Column B, Edit, Paste Special Value, then sort on that column.

You can then format the first 3 rows with borders, or however you want, copy and then Paste Special, Format for the whole list.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much. Great minds think alike as I have JUST figured that exact solution out... But thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back