Inserting an Image and Text into Word Using Excel VBA

KMacattack

I am trying to paste a couple cell from excel to word as an image and then insert text underneath the image. The only way that I have been able to get text underneath the image is to use a bunch of line breaks. Is there a way to find the point after the image, it seems like the cursor stays at the top of the page when inserting the image though.

Rich (BB code):
Sub CopyWorksheetsToWord<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
'This will copy the cell to word as a enhanced metafile.<o:p></o:p>
Application.ScreenUpdating = False<o:p></o:p>
Dim WdApp As Word.Application, wdDoc As Word.Document, ws As Worksheet<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
'Creates a New Microsoft Word Document<o:p></o:p>
Application.StatusBar = "Creating new document..."<o:p></o:p>
Set WdApp = New Word.Application<o:p></o:p>
Set wdDoc = WdApp.Documents.Add<o:p></o:p>
'Copies The ranges and will paste into the crated microsoft word document<o:p></o:p>
Set ws = ActiveSheet<o:p></o:p>
        Application.StatusBar = "Copying data from " & ws.Name & "..."<o:p></o:p>
        ws.Range("B4:H27").Copy<o:p></o:p>
wdDoc.Paragraphs(wdDoc.Paragraphs.Count).Range.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteEnhancedMetafile<o:p></o:p>
wdDoc.Paragraphs(wdDoc.Paragraphs.Count).Range.InsertParagraphAfter<o:p></o:p>
'Inserts Text into the Word Doc for the particular Points for discussion.<o:p></o:p>
    wdDoc.Content.InsertAfter  Chr(13) & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & Chr(13)
    wdDoc.Content.InsertAfter  "My Text Here"
Set ws = Nothing<o:p></o:p>
Application.StatusBar = "Cleaning up..."
'Sets the Word Doc view to Print View and Zoom 85%<o:p></o:p>
WdApp.ActiveWindow.ActivePane.Zooms(wdPrintView).Percentage = 85<o:p></o:p>
WdApp.Visible = False<o:p></o:p>
Set wdDoc = Nothing<o:p></o:p>
Set WdApp = Nothing<o:p></o:p>
Application.StatusBar = False

Last edited:
Hi VBAProIWish,

Me too not VBA professional, just the fan :)

Try this:
Rich (BB code):

' ZVI:2009-08-26 http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355225
Sub FromExcelToWordForm()
  Dim objWord As Object, objDoc As Object, c As Range, i As Long, wdFlds As Long
  Const TemplateFile = "C:\Apple, 01.dot"
  ' Open the template file
  On Error Resume Next
  Set objWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
  If Err <> 0 Then Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application"): Err.Clear
  Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open(TemplateFile)
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox "Can't open: " & TemplateFile, vbExclamation: GoTo exit_
  ' Activate Microsoft Word window
  objWord.Visible = True
  objWord.Tasks("Microsoft Word").Activate
  ' Replace FieldsNN by the shapes of selected cells, where NN = 00, 01 and so on
  wdFlds = objDoc.Fields.Count
  For Each c In Application.Selection
    i = i + 1
    If i > wdFlds Then Exit For
    DoEvents
    c.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlPicture
    objDoc.FormFields("FIELD" & Format(i, "00")).Range.Paste
  Next
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox "Check the fields in " & TemplateFile, vbCritical
  ' Set off copy mode of Excel
  Application.CutCopyMode = False
  ' SaveAs to release the template
  objDoc.SaveAs Filename:=Replace(UCase(TemplateFile), ".DOT", Format(Now, "yyyy-mm-dd_hh_mm_ss") & ".DOC"), FileFormat:=0
exit_:
  ' Release the memory
  Set objDoc = Nothing
  Set objWord = Nothing
End Sub

Cheers,
Vladimir

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
The same as above with minor changings and more commented:
Rich (BB code):

' ZVI:2009-08-26 http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355225
Sub FromExcelToWordForm()
  ' Open the template file
  On Error Resume Next
  Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open(TemplateFile)
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox "Can't open: " & TemplateFile, vbExclamation: GoTo exit_
  objWord.Visible = True
  ' Count the fields in Word template
  For Each c In Application.Selection
    ' Start from FIELD01, i-variable is the counter
    i = i + 1
    If i > wdFlds Then Exit For
    ' Release the events (required)
    DoEvents
    ' Copy picture from Excel to the counted FieldNN, where NN is formatted i-variable
    c.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlPicture
  Next
  ' Trap Word field numbering error
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox "Check the fields numbering in " & TemplateFile, vbCritical
  ' SaveAs to release the template, add date-time stamp to the name
  objDoc.SaveAs Filename:=Replace(UCase(TemplateFile), ".DOT", Format(Now, "_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss") & ".DOC"), FileFormat:=0
exit_:
  ' Release the memory
  Set objDoc = Nothing
  Set objWord = Nothing
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NdNoviceHlp,

I will look into that on the other Forum. Thanks a lot!

Hi Vladimir,

I am sad to report that nothing really worked at all except that it did open up the Word document and save it using the convention you had. The only thing that happened was this...

I got this error message in Excel...

Code:
"Check the fields numbering in..."

Nothing was pasted into Word. I'm thinking about creating tables and looking into creating my document entirely with tables. Maybe Excel and Word will be able to "speak" easier? The link above might help me.

Upvote 0
Try the working example in archive (24K): FromExcelToWordForm.zip

Contents of archive:
1. Apple, 01.dot – template of the Word form with Field01, Field02 … , Field10
2. FromExcelToWordForm.xls – Excel sheet with macro

Select the cells which value should be copied out to the fields of the file: C:\Apple, 01.dot
And push the button “Copy to Word Fields"

Upvote 0
Hi,

Okay, so I copied "APPLE, 01.DOT" into my "C:" drive and didn't open it. Then I opened up the workbook "FromExcelToWordForm", highlighted the range "B4:F09" and then pressed the button "Copy to Word". Here's what happened...

1. Word opened up as designed (even when not already opened), a good thing.

2. All cells from the Excel range were copied, another good thing

3. The formatting was brought over, another good thing.

3. The actual words "FIELD01", "FIELD02", etc were covered OVER
by "pictures" of "Trip Type", "Character", etc in the same light blue box as the worksheet, they looked like this...

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 51pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=68 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3108" width=68><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 51pt; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14 width=68>Trip Type</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>(FIELD01) is directly underneath this <TABLE style="WIDTH: 51pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=68 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3108" width=68><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 51pt; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14 width=68>Trip Type</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>box.

so, Word was opened up, the whole range was pasted over to Word, and the formatting WAS brought over, which IS a good thing but here are the issues...

> The cells from Excel were pasted OVER (individually, not as one picture which is what I need) each "FIELD" button when pasting into Word instead of pasting either IN the text form field button or below it.

>I want to highlight any range I want and then have Excel copy THAT WHOLE range AS ONE WHOLE PICTURE, (formatting intact) NOT ONE PICTURE FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL CELL HIGHLIGHTED IN THE RANGE.

Then, take that "picture of many cells including formatting" and paste the WHOLE picture either into a field or below it, preferrably somewhere where in a fixed position.

For example, when highlighting that range, I would like that WHOLE picture, like this...

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 229pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=306 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 38pt" width=51><COL style="WIDTH: 43pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2596" width=57><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2852" width=62><COL style="WIDTH: 52pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3181" width=70><COL style="WIDTH: 49pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2998" width=66><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 38pt; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14 width=51>Trip Type</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 43pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=57>Character</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=62></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 52pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=70></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; WIDTH: 49pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=66></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Daisy Duck</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Donald Duck</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Mickey Mouse</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Minny Mouse</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14>BOREDOM</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>2</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>6</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>2</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14>BUSINESS</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>3</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>5</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>1</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>4</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14>PLEASURE</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>2</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>4</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>4</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 10.2pt" height=14><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccffff; HEIGHT: 10.2pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=14>Grand Total</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>7</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>15</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>7</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 x:num>8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

to be copied either into or below (or in a certain position in Word) the text form field button of my choice.

Can this be done?

Thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Surely full picture can be copied into required place of Word document.

But picture can’t be copied IN the text field - just over the field (with deleting), or at the right side of the field (refer to code of my post #15, have you tried it?), or somewhere else. So, could you inform about the exact destination of cells picture for one more example of code.

Should the selected range of Excel cells be copied out as one picture of those cells to each text Fields of Word template or to the one (which?) of it? Please clarify it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Example of code to copy of selected cells as one picture over each FieldXX of Word template, where XX stays for 01,02 and so on:
Rich (BB code):

Sub FromExcelToWordForm_02()
  ' Open the template file
  On Error Resume Next
  Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open(TemplateFile, , True)
  objWord.Visible = True
  ' Count the fields in Word template
  ' Copy picture of selection into the clipboard
  Selection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlPicture
  For i = 1 To wdFlds
    ' Paste pictute OVER the FieldNN, where NN is formatted i-variable
    ' Release the events (required)
    DoEvents
  Next
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox "Check the fields numbering in " & TemplateFile, vbCritical
  objDoc.SaveAs Filename:=Replace(UCase(TemplateFile), ".DOT", Format(Now, "_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss") & ".DOC"), FileFormat:=0
exit_:
  ' Release the memory
  Set objDoc = Nothing
  Set objWord = Nothing
End Sub

Waiting for your feedback,
Vladimir

Upvote 0
Hi Vladimir,

The range of cells should be pasted OVER ONE FIELD ONLY (one that I would like to pick . This is because, I will then reuse the same code to post my next active range of cells from another worksheet.

I tried your latest code and it work except that it pasted this picture to EVERY field. I would like to PICK which field this goes into.

We are getting closer! :)

Thanks

Upvote 0
The closer we are to the goal, the easier modification of code :)
Try this:
Rich (BB code):

Sub FromExcelToWordForm_03()
  Dim objWord As Object, objDoc As Object, c As Range, i As Long

Const TemplateFile = "C:\Apple, 01.dot"   ' <-- Change to suit
  Const FieldName = "FIELD01"               ' <-- Change to suit

' Open the template file
  On Error Resume Next
  Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open(TemplateFile, , True)
  objWord.Visible = True
  ' Copy picture of selection into the clipboard
  Selection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlPicture
  ' Replace Field named as FieldName by the shape of selected cells
  objDoc.FormFields(FieldName).Range.Paste
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox "Check the field " & FieldName & " of " & TemplateFile, vbCritical
exit_:
  ' Release the memory
  Set objDoc = Nothing
  Set objWord = Nothing
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vladimir,

Wait, it's working, I'll post more detail soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adapt375

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back