Insert rows into alphabetical list and keep data aligned.

RedOctoberKnight

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning,

I'm currently working on a scheduling tool for work. I have a "Master" sheet that has everybody's name and work schedules for every day of the week. I then have sheets for every day of the schedule period that contains a position assignment and a daily log that get's faxed to our payroll department daily. Example of the daily log below.

last
first
EE
Schedule
Actual
SCO
OT
DT
LWOP
Remarks
Averill
N
0430-1300
STW 1230-2100 Barnes
Awadallah
B
1145-2015
Barnes
C
1230-2100
STO Averill/STW 1230-2100 Diaz
Bass
E
OFF

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last, First, EE, and Schedule columns are all formulated to pull information off the "Master" sheet. Remarks are simply add daily to that specific sheet. The problem I'm running into is when I add a new employee, and sort alphabetically, the remarks don't remain in the same row as the original employee. So if I add employee last name BAKER, it would sort it in between Awadallah and Barnes. But the comments that are currently in for Barnes would now be on Baker's row. If that makes any sense....

Is there a way to be able to insert a new employee into the "master" sheet and have all the comments for each employee follow them on there respective rows?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Last, First, EE, and Schedule columns are all formulated to pull information off the "Master" sheet. Remarks are simply add daily to that specific sheet.
I think your problem is your structure.
If the first few columns are formulas, but remarks are hard-coded, I can see how things get out of alignment.
I would recommend putting the remarks on the Master sheet also, so they are correlated with with a specific name (and not a reference formula).
Then just pull them in to this other sheet the same way you are pulling in the other fields.

Alternatively, you could create a separate "Remarks" sheet, when you have the person and remarks on that sheet (and are only ever adding new remarks to the bottom).
Then, you could pull your remarks in to this new sheet.

(Quite frankly, this looks like more of a database situation to me, and all things equal, I would choose to do it in Microsoft Access, which handles these sort of tasks better).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back