Indirect or Index command without recalculating forcing a save

bobpearl

I am trying to use either of these two functions
=INDEX (PFS!$A$1:PFS!$F$1000,(ROW()/2-2)*14+4,4)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
=INDIRECT("PFS!D"&(ROW()/2-2)*14+4)<o:p></o:p>

to access cells specified by my current row position. However, both of them cause excel to think the spreadsheet is modified even if there is no change in the spreadsheet, so I am always asked if I want to save before I close the spreadsheet even if I have done nothing.

I know there has to be a simple function or piece of code to indirectly access a cell that wont force a save everythime I open the spreadsheet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Bob

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
No that does not help

Indirect never works without forcing a save on close because it is a VOLATILE function.

Index only works if the reference is in the same worksheet. Because I need to indirectly access a cell on a different sheet for some reason that force Excel to ask if I want to save or discard.

The goal here is to be able to open and read this Excel file without being asked to save it when I exit if I haven't changed anything.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. It turns out that the index function does work fine and is not volatile.

There must have been another indirect function somehwere in the work book that I missed.

So the original index function in the first post actually does work fine.

Thanks for helping.

Bob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back