Index Match with Wildcard Not Working

Kas O

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I hope someone can help me with this please. I've tried Index/Match formulas but am challenged because I also need this to be a wildcard search. I have this column:

1618966176202.png

I would like to find any one of these items in column H's text and return it in the corresponding row in column I:
1618966287313.png

ie: It should find 2.60Ghz in each of these rows and return it in column I.
I think I've been staring at this too long, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-K

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi,

Please post samples using XL2BB so that we don't have to manually recreate your data, see my signature for where and how.
Is this what you mean.

Book3.xlsx
EFGHI
21.60Ghzabc 1.60Ghz xyz1.60Ghz
31.80Ghzabc 2.60Ghz xyz2.60Ghz
41.90Ghzabc 1.80Ghz xyz1.80Ghz
52.30Ghzabc 1.90Ghz xyz1.90Ghz
62.60Ghzabc 1.30Ghz xyzNot Found
72.70Ghzabc 2.30Ghz xyz2.30Ghz
Sheet913
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2:I7I2=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(E$2:E$7,H2),E$2:E$7),"Not Found")

Upvote 0
A variation (finds any GHz in the text) for some cell parallel to H2 and fill down:

Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("?.??GHz",H2)),"Found: "&MID(H2,SEARCH("?.??GHz",H2),7),"Not Found.")

Book3
EFGHIJ
21.60GHzOn the Insert tab, the galleries include items that are designed to coordinate with the overall look 1.80GHz of your document. You can use these galleries to insert tables, headers, footers, lists, cover pages, and other document building blocks. When you create pictures, charts, or diagrams, they also coordinate with your current document look.Found: 1.80GHz
31.80GHzLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Maecenas porttitor congue massa. Fusce 2.30GHZ posuere, magna sed pulvinar ultricies, purus lectus malesuada libero, sit amet commodo magna eros quis urna.Found: 2.30GHZ
41.90GHzNunc viverra imperdiet enim. Fusce est. Vivamus a tellus.Not Found.
52.30GHzPellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Proin pharetra nonummy pede 2.20GHz. Mauris et orci.Found: 2.20GHz
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
J2:J5J2=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("?.??GHz",H2)),"Found: "&MID(H2,SEARCH("?.??GHz",H2),7),"Not Found.")

Upvote 0
Solution
@kweaver , Did you Actually type all that up in your Column H? :eek:

Or, may be, just copy/pasted any old text and inserted the Ghz values....

Upvote 0
@kweaver , Did you Actually type all that up in your Column H? :eek:

Or, may be, just copy/pasted any old text and inserted the Ghz values....
Heavens no. In Word, I used =LOREM() and copied & pasted paragraphs into Excel and inserted the GHz in random spots. GRIN.

Upvote 0
@ Kas O, if all you are looking, for result wise, = xxxGHz then try the following in your I column cells ...

Example:
I2 formula =MID(H2,FIND("(",H2)+1,FIND(",",H2)-FIND("(",H2)-1)
I3 formula =MID(H3,FIND("(",H3)+1,FIND(",",H3)-FIND("(",H3)-1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, I hope someone can help me with this please. I've tried Index/Match formulas but am challenged because I also need this to be a wildcard search. I have this column:

View attachment 37162
I would like to find any one of these items in column H's text and return it in the corresponding row in column I:

I understood it as you wanted to specifically check the List of Processor Mapping in Column E against the text strings in Column H, as you described.
But apparently Not, you just want to return Any ?GHz as a result, where Column E is Not a factor.

So, this might work.

Book3.xlsx
HI
2abc 1.60GHz xyz1.60GHz
3abc 2.60GHz xyz2.60GHz
4abc 1.80GHz xyz1.80GHz
5abc 1.90GHz xyz1.90GHz
6abc 1.30GHz xyz1.30GHz
7abc 2.30GHz xyz2.30GHz
Sheet913
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2:I7I2=IFERROR(MID(H2,FIND("GHz",H2)-4,7),"Not Found")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santoli3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back