Index Match on 2nd occurrence

Heather_Llo

Hi,

I am wanting to find the 2nd occurrence of "Buyer Comments:" on my sheet and have it return the cell below it. I have been using this code:
=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("*Buyer Comments:*",A:A,0)+0)
but it catches the first one.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Try this,

=INDEX(A:A,SMALL(IF(A:A="BUYER COMMENTS",ROW(A:A)),2), 1)

This needs to be confirmed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

Upvote 0
Try

Array formula
=INDEX(A$2:A$1000,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BUYER COMMENTS",A$2:A$1000)),ROW(A$2:A$1000)-ROW(A$2)+1),2))
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Adjust the range as needed but for the sake of performance avoid references to entire columns, like A:A, in array formulas.

M.

Upvote 0
Try

Array formula
=INDEX(A$2:A$1000,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BUYER COMMENTS",A$2:A$1000)),ROW(A$2:A$1000)-ROW(A$2)+1),2))
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Adjust the range as needed but for the sake of performance avoid references to entire columns, like A:A, in array formulas.

M.
Thank you! That one worked. :)

Now I have another few questions.

1. Do array formulas not allow partial matches to content? I noticed you both put "BUYER COMMENTS" instead of my "*Buyer Comments:*".

2. This is only returning "Buyer Comments:". I am needing it to pull the cell below where "Buyer Comments:" is located, because the way I paste information in, Buyer Comments is in, for example, B2, and the actual comment is in B3. Is this formula set up to do that, or what number should I change to have it pull the cell under the one that contains "Buyer Comments:"?

3. The array formula is in F2. I have a formula in F3 that takes off the "Buyer Comments:" bit to give me the content after it. It is
=RIGHT(F2,LEN(F2)-16)
and is giving me a #VALUE ! error. Is this consequence of the array formula not pulling the cell below it?

Really appreciative of all the help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About your questions

1. Take a look in the help file about the SEARCH function

2. and 3.
Don't understand what you are trying to do. A small data sample along with expected result(s) would be helpful.

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Z6ua7K3.png

So basically... The way I paste the information from Amazon makes it so that the header (Buyer Comments) is in one cell, and the actual content I am needing is in another cell below it. I am trying to search on the second occurrence of "Buyer Comments" and return the cell beneath it, which is the actual comment the customer has made.

Now that I think about it, you can ignore the right formula. Take that completely out of the equation.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To get the cell immediately below all you need is to add 1 to the result of SMALL(...)

=INDEX(A$2:A$1000,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BUYER COMMENTS",A$2:A$1000)),ROW(A$2:A$1000)-ROW(A$2)+1),2)+1)
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back