Index and match question

Med4040

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I need to find the smallest batch size of a product that is made on particular equipment
So on the right I have Equipment 1 (Cell K4) and on this equipment, Product A and Product are made
What are the smallest batch sizes of these products? The source table is on the left
The results should be 221.4 in M4 and 64.4 in M5 because these are the only batch sizes

Now, on equipment 3 in, there are 2 products A (with different batch sizes), product B and Product D. In this case for the product A, the smallest batch size should be the result, when I select product A.

I made an attempt to do that but I couldn't do it.

Thank you.

fcup3a.png

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Y and X indicate which product is made on which equipment (vertically). They mean the same thing but I use X to indicate the this equipment is an alternate equipment.
Horizontally, you see which products made on a given equipment.
On the right I have equipment 1 and on this equipment, Product A and Product C are made. So what is the batch size of each of these products?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Y and X indicate which product is made on which equipment (vertically). They mean the same thing but I use X to indicate the this equipment is an alternate equipment.
Horizontally, you see which products made on a given equipment.
On the right I have equipment 1 and on this equipment, Product A and Product C are made. So what is the batch size of each of these products?

In M4 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=MIN(IF(LEN(INDEX($C$4:$G$8,MATCH($K$4,$A$4:$A$8,0),0))>0,IF($C$1:$G$1=$L4,$C$3:$G$3)))

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin,

Product A showing the largest batch size but it should be the smallest. Do you want me to upload the actual file, if you like?

vfgwte.png
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin,

Product A showing the largest batch size but it should be the smallest. Do you want me to upload the actual file, if you like?

I think Aladin's formula is correct - there is neither x nor y in C4, so it seems that Equipment 1 doesn't make the batch with size 110.0, differently than Equipment 3 that has a y in both columns.

M.

Upvote 0
This is what you wrote: "
The results should be 221.4 in M4 and 64.4 in M5 because these are the only batch sizes
"!...

If you look at the formula closely, it calculates the smallest (minimum) value for 1, Product A, where the value is associated with Non-empty cell.

Are you wanting 111.0 for the foregoing?

Upvote 0
This is what you wrote: "
"!...

If you look at the formula closely, it calculates the smallest (minimum) value for 1, Product A, where the value is associated with Non-empty cell.

Are you wanting 111.0 for the foregoing?

My sincere apologies Aladin. I didn't pay attention that only a large batch size of product A made on equipment 1
The results are accurate. I really appreciate your help and sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Aladin's formula is correct - there is neither x nor y in C4, so it seems that Equipment 1 doesn't make the batch with size 110.0, differently than Equipment 3 that has a y in both columns.

M.

Thanks Marcelo, you are absolutely right. My bad.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back