* in the name of a table and form

jmersing

I inhertited a database that has asterisks as the first character in many of the tables, forms and report names. I'm not familliar with this practice. Can someone explain it?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I've not seen anything like that myself and would think it could cause problems.

Upvote 0
I figured if anyone knew it it would be you Norie, I thought the same thing (* cause problems). I know the program was written by a guy in his sixties and I think he created it about 10 years ago. I can't get queries to work properly, I don't understand a lot of the code.

The asterisks are used in the code as well ??

Upvote 0
Can you post an example of the code/queries?

Are errors being generated or unexpected results being returned?

Can you rename the tables etc?

Upvote 0
Sure:

Query
SELECT [*Inventory Log].PharmID AS Expr1, [*Inventory Log].AutoNumber AS Expr2, [*Inventory Log].RemoveDate AS Expr3, [*Inventory Log].RemoveReason AS Expr4, [*Inventory Log].MedName AS Expr5, [*Inventory Log].Strength AS Expr6, [*Inventory Log].DEA AS Expr7, [*Inventory Log].QtyRemoved AS Expr8, [*Inventory Log].MedStatus AS Expr9, [*Inventory Log].Tote AS Expr10, [*Inventory Log].MoveDate AS Expr11, [*Inventory Log].NoShow AS Expr12, [*Inventory Log].DestroyedDate AS Expr13
FROM [*Inventory Log]
WHERE ((([*Inventory Log].[NoShow]) Is Null) AND (([*Inventory Log].[DestroyedDate]) Is Null))
ORDER BY [*Inventory Log].AutoNumber;

Code:
Private Sub Med_Name_AfterUpdate()

Me![C#] = (DLookup("[DEA]", "Medications", "[MedName] = Forms![*Inventory Form]![Med Name]"))

If IsNull(DLookup("[Tote]", "TotePic", "[MedName] = Forms![*Inventory Form]![Med Name]")) Then
Me![Tote Num] = 3
Else
Me![Tote Num] = (DLookup("[Tote]", "TotePic", "[MedName] = Forms![*Inventory Form]![Med Name]"))
End If

End Sub

I even found this on the form onclose event :
*Validation.OnClose

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CALEB23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back