Importing Excel issues

Sully38

Board Regular
My assignment is I am importing an excel spreadsheet that will drive some currency breakout through querried values. The Excel fields are in a general number valued and to the 15 decimal place. I have to rework this data into a percentage and keep it at 15 decimal places. My question are

1. When I import the field shouldn't Access give me the option to either not change the value I am importing and/or allow me to determine what data type I would like to use. Everytime I go through the import process the data field is blacked out and Access is bringing the value in as a Double. Is there something I am missing?

2. After I read the data into a table I have tried to change the data type to percent it changes the record to(example 70.00 to 7000.00%) any clues as to why?

I know these are a lot of questions and it is the weekend..But any help is appreciated.

o_O This database

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
1. When I import the field shouldn't Access give me the option to either not change the value I am importing and/or allow me to determine what data type I would like to use. Everytime I go through the import process the data field is blacked out and Access is bringing the value in as a Double. Is there something I am missing?

When importing from an Excel file, Access does not give you the ability to change the data format upon input. It takes it from the Excel file. If you want to change it upon importing it into Access, save your Excel file to a text file and then import the text file.

2. After I read the data into a table I have tried to change the data type to percent it changes the record to(example 70.00 to 7000.00%) any clues as to why?

A percent translates into a decimal (it is a mathematical law, not an Excel or Access issue). For example, 75% = .75. So if you wanted 70 to translate into 70%, you would need to divide by 100 first, so you start out with .70 which would then translate into 70%.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachetsely

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back