Import Text File To Temp DB And Then Create Linked Table To My DB?

xljunkie

Board Regular
So I've created a db that does the following:

1. Save some zip files from an FTP site to a network folder, extract the text files within, then import the text files into my db. One of the files is 500k rows and bloats my db from 580mb starting out to around 1GB (can't recall exactly).
2. Run other queries (all appending and deleting records, no more new tables) in order to minimize bloat.
3. I need to do some comparisons on the approximately 400k rows from the previous month's db so I copy and paste the prior month's table. To accomplish this, I copy the table that already exists within the db and call it prior early in the process. The reason for this instead of creating a linked table is the location of the prior month's db is subject to change. Db bloats to about 1.7GB.
4. Delete all this temp data within my db. Always manually compact & repair at the end which will bring size down to 580mb again.

The process works, but 1.7GB is a little too dangerously close to the 2GB limit for my liking. I'm thinking there is a way to accomplish #1 (and maybe even #3) with a temp db, but I don't have any experience with these. I've found an example db that shows how to create an external temp db but I'm not 100% sure how it works. Does anyone have additional resources I can study?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back