import from excel

rs2k

Hello,
I have spent the last few months creating a database in excel (I chose excel because I am failiar with it). I now need to convert it to access as more people are going to use it and I want a more user friendly input (again, this could be me, knowing what to/not to press).

1. Can I import table for table?
2. What will happen to the formulas/code that exist in excel
3. or is it better to start from scratch?

Cheer's
Colin.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Colin,

The best thing would be to import all your tables into excel by choosing new table and following the import route.
As harsh as it sounds, its best to redo the code (but if relatively simple its just as easy using access' macro design). Calculations can be remoulded in queries or tables

Upvote 0
Cheer's for that. Theres not a great deal of code, so I will try the macro design.
Cheer's
Colin.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I would suggest to write the code again in Access.
I think its better to use VBA again instead of macros, because you have more possibilities with VBA and the VBA-Code is better for the performance of the database - also if you convert the database to a higher version in the future, you will have less problems if you dont use macros.

Upvote 0
Very true tonnic, but for someone who has some understanding of excel and new to access VBA can be very daunting.

I advise similar people to first use the macro design and then convert into module form for editing as this kills many birds with very little masonry!

Upvote 0
I'd counter the "use macro" statement with - go ahead and start using the macros. They're a good tool to start you on the right path. They give you menus and some explanations of what is what...and when you're done, go to the Tools Menu - Macros - Covert Macros to Visual Basic (option)

And then go take a look at what you get.

That'd be step 2 towards understanding coding.

And yes, absolutely - VBA code is far far more flexible.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back